old shaded pole motor having isues

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I got this motor from an old standing fan that used a squirrel cage fan. tried it out wouldn't run, but bearings seemed ok, but didn't need anymore so just parted out. found that one wire (red) on the motor shows no connection to any others motor also has a cap off 2 other wires I tried running off black and 2 other wires that had connection, but it runs backwards from the way it would have in the fan. I popped the motor open and looked for any possible thermal sensors on the read lead which I saw nothing. so makes me think possibly a wire broke somewhere in it, but not sure how that would happen other than poor design or overheating possibly. overheating seems most likely to me because it was caked with lint on the outside. but seems surprising it could get hot enough to damage a wire. I've only been testing it off a variac at like 50V do far and always runs same way even tried 3 wires, revising cap, and reversing plug every time still backwards. my guess is red was to a main line then the other 3 that I got it to run are taps that would have gone to the red. is there any simple way to find a break or would that need to have the hole thing pulled apart? if involves a lot of work think just leave it runs use it for something maybe don't need fan anyways, but like to get working right be better if could make reversible also.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
just goggled the model # a lot of people having issues with this motor. from many types of lasko fans. looks like most are just replacing whole thing or if they can getting a new motor of some sort.