old hunter 24 pedestal fan switch problem

brucef2112

Joined Sep 1, 2009
INWO,
The 265 switches are not available..replacements are unverifiable as to adapability ,are available(ebay)and expensive. That swith diagram looks complicated which is probably why the fan guys say they're intregal to the fan. I've been told they should be off-low-off-high.... switch seems like it ratchets.
I'd like to think your first diagram could work...but at this point I'm taking it to an electronics shop. I could hane an inline switch for on and off but It looks like the wiring is much more complex.
Never sen that switch diagram on the fan collector website...is it from manufacturer? I should post it if it is.
THanks Paul
Paul, I posted the long answer over at the AFCA fan forum.
http://afcaforum.com/view_topic.php?id=34828&forum_id=5&jump_to=294877#p294877
Short answer is rheostat switch is a really bad answer for this motor. The windings control the speed of this fan.
Also bad is a 3PDT switch. It can be used to get the fan to function, however it would leave the motor and cap. energized even when "turned off" (a shocking problem).
To make this fan function you need a 4PDT "ON/OFF/ON" toggle switch. Not to be confused with a 4PDT "ON/ON" toggle switch.
Here is a short version of what wires, do what.
Using my own ID numbering, looking at back of motor (oriented upright), the upper left wire is #1. Then going in a counter clockwise direction, each of the 4 remaining wires are sequentially numbered (2,3,4,5).
Wire #3 goes to terminal on the capacitor. Wire #4 goes to the other terminal of the capacitor.
POWER
L1 is white neutral
L2 is the black Hot
If your cord has been replaced and has a ground wire, attach it to the capacitor's mounting bracket.

Using my wire numbering system (not any factory/OEM numbers)
LOW Speed
L1 = 5
L2 = 4
1 together 2

Hi Speed
L1 = 5 & 2
L2 = 4 & 1
Check the link at the AFCA fan forum for detailed wiring info and a diagram about wiring the fan and switch.
I just finished getting mine running and it functions great! Toggle switch gives me "Low/Off/Hi".
Good luck!
Bruce

Last edited:

brucef2112

Joined Sep 1, 2009
(forum won't let me edit previous)
The name plate on my fan is: Hunter - Robbins & Myers 22029 two speed floor fan.
Hope my info at the fan forum helps. The fan forum doesn't let 'Guest' reply to messages they didn't create.
So if you have questions post them here so we can reply back and forth.
Later,
Bruce