old hunter 24 pedestal fan switch problem

Pauljg

Joined May 17, 2014
I am trying tox fix an old Hunter Airspread 24" fan. friend and I 'operated' on it..i.e. replaced missing capacitor, wrapped some of the wire and lubed up sticky shaft. got it running but the switch is stuck on low. It has a high speed as well. So yeah! it works but not quite functional. I'd really like to get this cool fan functional and use it since I'd don't have AC.
Old switch is unavailable unless someone chimes into my request on the fan forum and has one....been told there is no other switch option as it's intregal(sp?) to the unit.

Is there another option?? Told its a 3pdt switch. wouldn't mind a push button. Really want high and off.

switch is at bottom of page.
http://afcaforum.com/view_topic.php?id=32722&forum_id=1&jump_to=271518#p271518

Thanks
PAul
Salem Oregon

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Looks a lot like a dpdt center of switch that ratchets rather than toggles.

Seems there is enough of it left to see what connects to what. With that information, sourcing a replacement should be possible.

Can you show how wires enter motor including capacitor?
Any motor info?

Pauljg

Joined May 17, 2014
Saw those 'gold plated' switches. like to think there's a 5 dollar solution.

Can't post pictures other than URL Link.

Capacitor wires and 3wires from switch dive into the wiring. unless I open it up more I can't say where.

Motor tag
1130-840 rpm
1/6 hp
2.2 amps
110-120 volts
60 cycles
1 phase

Pauljg

Joined May 17, 2014
I Did put 2 new pics of wires. With it being stuck on low would that allow me to determine enough to wire it up once I found correct replacement switch.
Funny all wires are back. did guys back then just neverfigured anyone would work on them?
Figure a lot of these fans were melted for the war(WWII) effort which my dad was part of.
That one diagram was way over my head...but my friend just rewired his lathe and I know an electrician 350 miles away.

Pauljg

Joined May 17, 2014
The story gets richer. So one of the wires fell off and I left it off and plugged it in . *Ran on low. Nothing to lose..I thought..maybe tug on the chain hard..real hard maybe its jammed and it was. But 2nd tug produced a spark. so I figured its probably wired wrong to begin with..not my doing. And now God knows if the switch is now toast. Back where I started. unknown wiring..needing a switch.

Gotta love those projects.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Do the diagrams make sense now?

If you find the two wires that when connected to power, run motor slow, that will be M1 and M2.

If you can still run motor slow. Find which wire makes no difference when unhooked. M3

Pauljg

Joined May 17, 2014
If I Am unable to get a switch from last posible connection on the fan forum this looks doable. still a little over my head but I figure its learnable like most projects I've dwelved into. should be a able to narrow it down with a multimeter and friend who knows more.
Although Id rather buy a switch that doesn't ship from overseas.... one that's already in the states preferrably .

One of the fan guys said his switch(different model) operates such :eek:ff,hi,off,low.
While troubleshooting I was getting off,low,off,low.
At this point I need to clean/lube switch
and see if I can diagnose what happened to high....sometime at the end of this week I dont care how it switches between settings as long as there is a high.
Assuming I can't get original switch....

Is there a push button version of that red style

Pauljg

Joined May 17, 2014
I don't know elec diagrams but I Understand process of elimination.
My initial thought was m1-m2 = high.
I'll figure it out.

Think I Accidentally posted new thread rather than reply..my bad.

Is that red toggle style avaiable in a push button?

And is my switch 3PDT?

Pauljg

Joined May 17, 2014
How I See diagram
M1-M2 goes through 2 windings(high)
M1-M3 goes through one winding(low)

Either way I get it...that I know little but will get it

Can I get 3PDT in push button.

Pauljg

Joined May 17, 2014
The switch diagram...L1 L2 just found out thats AC. I assume a newer style plug would be used on any new switch.Is this thinking correct?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Yes, L1 and L2 mean line1 and line2, (hot and neutral) which in your case is 120 volt ac. (doesn't matter which is which)

If by new you mean, grounded 3wire plug, not needed, but always a plus for safety.

Weather my diagram is correct depends on the hand drawn chart from another tinkerer.

If it is then the chart I posted:

Connects one ac line to M1 low.
Connect other ac line to M2 for low.

Connect one ac line to M1 and M2 for high.
Connect other ac line to M3 for high.

M1, M2, M3 are the motor leads to switch. Unknown which is which.

Pauljg

Joined May 17, 2014
THanks INWO,
I just ordered the switch..found same thing with a boot.

Switch diagram made a little more sense after studying flow path. Will learn motor winding pathways next.

I Figured on off the shelf part would be just fine.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Updated schematic.
The first one could short if switching fast from high to low speed.
Which isn't an expected operation. Should ratchet off-low-high-off etc.
Try #3.................................................:)

Attachments

Last edited:

Pauljg

Joined May 17, 2014
INWO,
The 265 switches are not available..replacements are unverifiable as to adapability ,are available(ebay)and expensive. That swith diagram looks complicated which is probably why the fan guys say they're intregal to the fan. I've been told they should be off-low-off-high.... switch seems like it ratchets.
I'd like to think your first diagram could work...but at this point I'm taking it to an electronics shop. I could hane an inline switch for on and off but It looks like the wiring is much more complex.
Never sen that switch diagram on the fan collector website...is it from manufacturer? I should post it if it is.
THanks Paul