old HP motherboard project question...

shawd

Joined Sep 20, 2009
So ive been following the trend of people using arduinos and such, and the concept seems pretty interesting and was thinking on a purchase, but as i was surfing ebay, i came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-USED-HP-MOTHE...otherboards&hash=item45f9d2d127#ht_1048wt_906

and i was curious, how complex would it be if i wanted to use this as a project for use as some sort of microcontroller or other function? If i cannot use it as a microcontroller, what could i use it for?

I am also aware that it is missing a processor, but the seller happens to be selling one on another page, so i might buy that too if this were to prove useful. i feel this would have alot of potential for intense projects with the speed of the clock that is used, and anything else this would contain that could be useful.

a little background on me(that way you know how much over my head this would be.) im going for a BS in electrical engineering, im familiar with programming so i could pick up on a new language if need be, good with circuit design, and a little new on the use of transistiors. also familiar with using a microcontroller, an Altera board to be exact.

thanks,
David