Old Celll Phone

Yeti

Joined Jul 26, 2005
I have an old cell phone that i would like to do something with. It is a Nokia model:5165. I dont think i can use the microprocessor from it as the pins are very small, i do thinki can use the LCD screen though.
Any thoughts on what i can accomplish with this old phone?

Another thing i have is an old monitor. Its a 17" CRT the screen started to fade out every once in a while on it, so i decided it was time for anew one. I dont think i can repair it, but i could take it apart and salvage some parts maybe.

Thanks for input/suggestions

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
Originally posted by Yeti@Sep 8 2005, 12:18 AM
I have an old cell phone that i would like to do something with. It is a Nokia model:5165. I dont think i can use the microprocessor from it as the pins are very small, i do thinki can use the LCD screen though.
Any thoughts on what i can accomplish with this old phone?

Another thing i have is an old monitor. Its a 17" CRT the screen started to fade out every once in a while on it, so i decided it was time for anew one. I dont think i can repair it, but i could take it apart and salvage some parts maybe.

Thanks for input/suggestions
[post=10195]Quoted post[/post]​
hi yeti,

before you can use the LCD you have to know what other devices you will need to make that LCD function.

as to your monitor, wires & cables would still have some use, trimmer resistors, heatsinks, power transistors and some disc capacitors.

moz

Yeti

Joined Jul 26, 2005
So do you mean i need to know what i m goin to use the LCD screen for or that there are physicall components that i need to make it work?

Just for experimentation, i have a circuit from last semester that has a binary counter and uses LED's to show the binary numbers. I would like to try and use the cell phone LCD to display the numbers instead of looking at the LED's.

Maybe i can find a digital camera and take some pictures(or find on net) of the LCD and maybe that can help with explanations.

Thanks
Yeti

PS. Is a trimer resistor same a regular resistor or potentemeter?

here is a Link that shows a very very similair phone:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone6.htm