OK. Change of plan. Need assistance creating drawing of circuitry for auto DC motor door

Herndon7468

Joined Mar 2, 2016
Just ordered a DC gear motor. It's a high torque 50 rpm motor that I want to use for automatic chicken coop door. Doesn't have to be crazy with effects... Just a DPDT timer switch that actually kicks night heat lights on @ 9pm already and then day lights @ 7am. Plan to use that timer to energize motor that will also have two limit switches to stop it in open/closed positions until timer kicks into opposite mode later in the day to energize opposite leg, closing window when night lights come on. Don't have a clue which relays, etc would be needed to accomplish this. I'm a circuitry rookie, so speak in idiot terms if possible. Lol. The "door" is actually a window that I made bracketry for as to hook up to said motor. Thank everybody so much for help! This is a 4H project for my little girl... And this site rocks... Am very interested in being a student. Thanks again!!

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A fairly cheap source of real-time timers is either a Automotive block heater timer, I assume in Ohio you may be aware of these, the other is an irrigation timer, these usually bring on LV sprinkler valves.
Max.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Be aware that relays, unless of the latching variety, can require considerable (tens of mA) coil current, so your circuit should ensure that neither the day nor night period requires a relay coil to be energised continuously if prolonging battery life is a concern.

Herndon7468

Joined Mar 2, 2016
Thanks to all you for replies!! Let me ask a quick question.. Say I wanted to open/close prematurely for one reason or another... Is there a way I could toggle it to cycle to next limit switch manually for coop cleaning or whatever?

Herndon7468

Joined Mar 2, 2016
Also, no battery life to be prolonged... I have 110 AC power from the house to the coop. Not running off of a solar system or anything of that sort.

Herndon7468

Joined Mar 2, 2016
Thank you SO much fort taking the time to look all of this over and help me out!! If I wanted to add a switch to be able to manually open/close this thing, what would be the best way of going about that? And I hate to bother you with this but could you throw me a wiring diagram to show how to go about it? Thanks!!

Herndon7468

Joined Mar 2, 2016
I thought about that after I wrote my response. By hitting the manual switch on the timer, I can energize coil and power the motor to the next limit switch. Thank you! Any chance you could throw me a wiring diagram of best way to wire it all up? I'd very much appreciate it! Also, will I need a couple of diodes at the limit switches?

Davidg1974

Joined May 20, 2014
I think u may be jumping the gun a bit. How are u supplying the DC to the circuit? U will need a power supply of some sort for the DC circuit preferably a well regulated one with overload and thermal protection in place. And what about the environment? I assume it will be outdoors or in a barn so will everything be enclosed? Will it stay dry year round or could anything exposed get wet

Herndon7468

Joined Mar 2, 2016
Will be inside. Dry year round. Have 110v line from house to coop. I will enclose all of this so it's out of reach of chickens. Will get a 12v transformer wired to 110v timer to feed it.