Odd Video Question

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
Ok, at church we have two projectors that we drive with the 2nd monitor output from a laptop. We display annoucements and words to songs, etc.

An amplifier and two-way splitter take this signal and feed it to the projectors.

Now, at times, we play DVDs with, of course, a VHS/DVD player. We take the video output (regular old analog signal) and feed it to an amp and 6 way splitter (4 outputs unused) and feed this to the other input on the projectors.

Problem is, to activate the port on the projectors, we have to disconnect the cable from the laptop - this way, the projectors scan for the other input. This is sloppy, IMO.

I want to convert the video out of the DVD player to the same format from the laptop and THEN use a KVM switch to switch between laptop and DVD player instantly!

Is there a little, I guess you'd call it a "Modulator" or converter that will do this? I already have tested it by using the KVM in line between the Laptop and the amp/splitter to the projectors and I can switch between two LAPTOPS just fine. Can I buy a little adapter box to make the video turn into a "monitor signal" like what comes out of the laptop?

Did I explain all of this well enough? I tried Radio Shack and got a REAL BLANK STARE. Saw nothing at Office Max or WalMart even close to what I want to do.

Am I the first person in the world to try to do this?

rspuzio

Joined Jan 19, 2009
Not what you have in mind, but what about attaching a DVD drive
to the laptop if it already doesn't come with one and using it to play
the DVD's instead?

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
There are at least three reasons:

1) Because we often play audio (from a CD or downloaded source) thru the laptop into the sound system while the DVD is playing on the DVD player.

2) Because we sometimes are inputting text into the display software on the laptop while the DVD plays.

3) We still (if you can believe this in 2009 :rolleyes: ) play VHS tapes on the VHS/DVD player.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
First of all, I guess your Laptop output is VGA( regular monitor pin) and not S-video (round pin with about 4 pins) and your DVD player has an analog RCA out.

One way I know of to convert RCA to VGA is by using an external TV tuner card with VGA output. It is made by companies like intex and are cheap and are used to watch TV on computer monitors without PC. It can also take DVD inputs (analog only no component and S-video) and allows you to watch DVDS on a PC monitor. In short it is a RCA to VGA converter.

There might be standalone devices, but I havent heard of them much.

The best option would be to get a USB DVD drive and play on them without any problem.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
1) Because we often play audio (from a CD or downloaded source) thru the laptop into the sound system while the DVD is playing on the DVD player.
You can do that on your laptop alone by muting the video player's sound and play music on another media player.

2) Because we sometimes are inputting text into the display software on the laptop while the DVD plays.
I didnt get that, but I guess you can manage that also. Is it that you type in text altogether and then display them or you do it live?

3) We still (if you can believe this in 2009 :rolleyes: ) play VHS tapes on the VHS/DVD player.
For that you can use a capture card or a TV tuner card with your laptop

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
First of all, I guess your Laptop output is VGA( regular monitor pin) and not S-video (round pin with about 4 pins) and your DVD player has an analog RCA out.
RIGHT!

One way I know of to convert RCA to VGA is by using an external TV tuner card with VGA output. It is made by companies like intex and are cheap and are used to watch TV on computer monitors without PC. It can also take DVD inputs (analog only no component and S-video) and allows you to watch DVDS on a PC monitor. In short it is a RCA to VGA converter.
That's what I want. Where do I go to get one?

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
You can do that on your laptop alone by muting the video player's sound and play music on another media player.

I didnt get that, but I guess you can manage that also. Is it that you type in text altogether and then display them or you do it live?

For that you can use a capture card or a TV tuner card with your laptop
First, thanks for your responses!!!!

Please don't be offended, but I am not going to get into all of this. The list of duties and program complications are such that I have determined I want the device you mentioned above, and explaining all of this is just a waste of time - mine and yours!

Now to FIND one of what you spoke of in your first response, buy it, and get it past the financial committee! :cool: Can you give me brand names or model numbers I can search for?

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
I was searching and trying to learn what S-Video is and came upon THIS:

http://www.svideo.com/video2vga.html

I THINK that is what I want - looks like I can feed it to the KVM and use the KVM to switch between the laptop and this device! Problem solved? Seems like it.

Thanks!

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
I don't even need the KVM:

- Computer VGA signal pass-through. Select the VGA signal from your computer or the external video from your video devices.

- You do not have to connect/disconnect your computer's VGA monitor - all you have to do is select the signal to display on your VGA monitor.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
First, thanks for your responses!!!!

Please don't be offended, but I am not going to get into all of this. The list of duties and program complications are such that I have determined I want the device you mentioned above, and explaining all of this is just a waste of time - mine and yours!

Now to FIND one of what you spoke of in your first response, buy it, and get it past the financial committee! :cool: Can you give me brand names or model numbers I can search for?
No probs, your wish.

Its easy to convert VGA to S-video and backwards. I didnt understand what your KVM is though. S-video is present on most laptops, all projectors and most Tv's prior to 1995.

When switching, make sure you dont introduce noise and ruin everything.

Yes and that is the same thing I talked about except it doesnt have Tv tuner. Good luck..

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
KVM - "Keyboard, video, Monitor" switch. Usually used to switch those items from computer to computer. I was going to use only the monitor port.