Octopus tester and curve tracer

tonydix

Joined May 4, 2010
I live in the rainforest jungle of Panama and so our 110 volt supply is from an inverter. I have tried to construct both the Octopus tester and the simple curve tracer as described on this board. I am using a usb oscilloscope connected to a computer and so both the tester and the scope are running on less than a pure sine wave. In both cases when the scope is put into X-Y mode I get a very small vertical line. This line does not change if red and black probes are shorted open circuit or have any component between them. I am very keen to get an in circuit component tester working at would welcome any advice about how I might proceed.
Many thanks and best wishes
Tony

twister007

Joined Feb 29, 2012
I live in the rainforest jungle of Panama and so our 110 volt supply is from an inverter. I have tried to construct both the Octopus tester and the simple curve tracer as described on this board. I am using a usb oscilloscope connected to a computer and so both the tester and the scope are running on less than a pure sine wave. In both cases when the scope is put into X-Y mode I get a very small vertical line. This line does not change if red and black probes are shorted open circuit or have any component between them. I am very keen to get an in circuit component tester working at would welcome any advice about how I might proceed.
Many thanks and best wishes
Tony
I use a inverter too, and I have to keep the inverter far away from the scope with a long cord.