obstacle and distance measuring device help!!!!

mani1988

Joined Mar 5, 2009
I am in final year of automotive engineering currently working on final year project whose aim is to build a unit performing as :
Obstacle detection and distance measuring device.
I require a ir sensor that has high range appr 8-10ft with output as varying voltage.I am using 8051 microcontroller for this purpose.So i want you to guide me regarding which sensor(please provide its ic number along with company) would be appropriate for my project and any other info that can help my project.I live in pakistan so please suggest those components that are easily available in the market.
Regards
Abdul Rehman

kahafeez

Joined Dec 2, 2008
Salam Mani Bhai, i suggest you use http://www.8051projects.net for issues regarding microcontrollers as this is more concerned with analog electronics etc..... and the other thing is that i've seen people use ultrasonic transcievers for distance finding.... the technique followed is that when the transmitter transmits waves a timer is started, when the reciever receives the waves and the timer stops and the time is calculated and so distance is calculated as we know that the ultrasonic waves have a constant speed.... anyways doing it through IR will be interesting but i wonder if its achievable or not.....