Number Systems, Add/Subtract, etc

TheTechGod

Joined Jun 15, 2005
Hi everyone,

I'm studying for an exam next week and need to catch up on some work that I missed. Most of this was discussed in class and is not in our textbook :(

I need help with tracking down some Number Systems tutorials. I already know how to convert whole numbers to/from Decimal, Binary, Hexadecimal, but I need some tutorials that explain how to convert from any base to any other base.

I'm also looking for some tutorials explaining how to do binary addition/subtraction using 2's compliment or 1's compliment. I need to know how this is done without converting to decimal first (which is how I currently do it).

I already know how to convert positive binary numbers to negative using 2's compliment.

Here are some questions from a practise exam that I'll need to know how to do:

Convert the following base 12 number into a base 15 number:
AB2.47

Perform the following binary long division to 4 binary point places:
1001101.1011 / 11.01

Perform the following binary multiplication:
101101.101 x 1011.11

Use 1's complement arithmetic (8 bit) to perform the following subtraction:
11.25 (base 10) - 14.625 (base 10)

Use 2's complement arithmetic (8 bit) to perform the following subtraction:
- 76 (base 10) - 51 (base 10)

In total, the number systems questions will be worth about 1/4'th of the exam, so I really do want to brush up on it. I don't need to go much more in depth than what the above questions ask for. Web tutorials would be best (I have tried searching but I keep running into floating point representation - which is beyond the scope of this subject)... If you know any good non-obscure books then please recommend them and I'll see if I can find them at the library.

Please help with anything you can, even if you can't cover everything.

Thanks everyone and sorry for the long post!

davidand

Joined Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by TheTechGod@Jun 15 2005, 09:08 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm studying for an exam next week and need to catch up on some work that I missed. Most of this was discussed in class and is not in our textbook :(

I need help with tracking down some Number Systems tutorials. I already know how to convert whole numbers to/from Decimal, Binary, Hexadecimal, but I need some tutorials that explain how to convert from any base to any other base.

I'm also looking for some tutorials explaining how to do binary addition/subtraction using 2's compliment or 1's compliment. I need to know how this is done without converting to decimal first (which is how I currently do it).

I already know how to convert positive binary numbers to negative using 2's compliment.

Here are some questions from a practise exam that I'll need to know how to do:

Convert the following base 12 number into a base 15 number:
AB2.47

Perform the following binary long division to 4 binary point places:
1001101.1011 / 11.01

Perform the following binary multiplication:
101101.101 x 1011.11

Use 1's complement arithmetic (8 bit) to perform the following subtraction:
11.25 (base 10) - 14.625 (base 10)
Use 2's complement arithmetic (8 bit) to perform the following subtraction:
- 76 (base 10) - 51 (base 10)
In total, the number systems questions will be worth about 1/4'th of the exam, so I really do want to brush up on it. I don't need to go much more in depth than what the above questions ask for. Web tutorials would be best (I have tried searching but I keep running into floating point representation - which is beyond the scope of this subject)... If you know any good non-obscure books then please recommend them and I'll see if I can find them at the library.

Please help with anything you can, even if you can't cover everything.

Thanks everyone and sorry for the long post!
[post=8520]Quoted post[/post]​
http://www.duke.edu/~twf/cps104/twoscomp.html

Try this link.

TheTechGod

Joined Jun 15, 2005
Thanks, that is very helpful!

If anyone knows of anything else, please post it too. I'm still confused with multiplication/division...