Number of Solar Panels to power a Level-2 EV charger?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
When even the NYT says it's a boondoggle, you know it's bad.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/09/us/california-high-speed-rail-politics.html
Now, as the nation embarks on a historic, $1 trillion infrastructure building spree, the tortured effort to build the country’s first high-speed rail system is a case study in how ambitious public works projects can become perilously encumbered by political compromise, unrealistic cost estimates, flawed engineering and a determination to persist on projects that have become, like the crippled financial institutions of 2008, too big to fail.
Then came the decision to start building a train between Los Angeles and San Francisco that reached neither city.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I find it interesting the objections cluster around politic, rather than technology. Yes, I can agree that politics is broken in this country.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I find it interesting the objections cluster around politic, rather than technology. Yes, I can agree that politics is broken in this country.
My main objections are not political but IMO it's foolish not to see some connection. The politic nonsense pushing dubious technology for votes and political payoffs is a valid objection in addition to the dubious technology.

These roadway power schemes are like Groundhog Day, they seem to keep repeating with slightly different variations of the same thing and have for decades. There is NOTHING NEW here. It's been tried and FAILED several times because of basic practical engineering issues that are not connected to politics. This is exactly the sort of wasteful crap that IMO is poisoning the well for a large segment of the general public on the EV and EV infrastructure tax funding.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
And it's breaking technology.
I would say deterring, rather than breaking. For profit companies doing their own R&D are less affected than projects requiring public investment. Unfortunately, large infrastructure projects cannot be done that way, so we need assent if the public. And therein lies the problem.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I would say deterring, rather than breaking. For profit companies doing their own R&D are less affected than projects requiring public investment. Unfortunately, large infrastructure projects cannot be done that way, so we need assent if the public. And therein lies the problem.
This sort of solar/wireless roadway crap doesn't help with that, in fact IMO, it's a net negative for the large infrastructure projects like the massive transportation electrical grid and power plants needed for a practical EV transition.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
There is NOTHING NEW here. It's been tried and FAILED several times because of basic practical engineering issues that are not connected to politics.
Can you give examples? Are you confusing this with the ridiculous attempts at harvesting power with piezo transducers embedded in roads?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Can you give examples? Are you confusing this with the ridiculous attempts at harvesting power with piezo transducers embedded in roads?
I've given a previous example that was all over the media at the time. For some reason the company is no longer in the Wireless Charging Road business. they now make and sell wired chargers.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...ower-a-level-2-ev-charger.199947/post-1899643

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ireless-charging-roads-for-electric-vehicles/
MAY 11, 2017
5 MIN READ
Israel Tests Wireless Charging Roads for Electric Vehicles
New technology could power buses and cars on the go, but will it be cost-effective?
The government is collaborating with Israeli start-up ElectRoad to install a public bus route in Tel Aviv, using an under-the-pavement wireless technology that eliminates the need for plug-in recharging stations.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/...onment/electric-roads-cars-israel-sweden.html

Electric Roads Could Be a Path to a Driverless Future
Israel and Sweden experiment with a new way to increase the uses of electric cars.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Please educate me. I see no theoretical reasons why it has to be less efficient than a transformer.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...ower-a-level-2-ev-charger.199947/post-1899642
It's not a new idea for cars or wireless charging in general and it's obviously not practical for general transportation. Why would you waste as a baseline, 10% of your money.? You will be charged for the 10% because the energy supplier is paying for it.
We have a thick layer of nice lossy RF absorbing bitumen, loaded with lots of iron oxide containing gravel, with lots of RF absorbing carbon plus a lossy air gap VS a thick gauge of copper wire directly connected to the car. Only getting a 10% energy loss while rolling would be a absolute miracle.
It will be much less efficient than a typical transformer. Do you really want to waste an extra 10% of your monthly electric bill on heating the great outdoors.

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
For profit companies doing their own R&D are less affected...
BS. I own a for-profit company that does its own R&D. I am greatly affected by tax and regulatory compliance costs that would otherwise be directed toward useful and profitable new products that would improve the lives and work -- and raise the standard of living -- of my, and their, customers.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Who said anything about solar? It does not need to be solar powered.
No it doesn't but get with the program! Localized Solar Powered sells better than fossil fueled/wireless roadway with huge power lines going over the horizon following wireless charger roads.
1711823237574.png
Even if it ran off of fusion power plants the wireless charging losses would still be there.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
@nsaspook: I see nothing in your links that say it failed or why. Not helpful except to prove that it is not completely new.

As for efficiency, if the loss is 10% I think practically everyone would gladly pay that to avoid sitting somewhere while their car charged for an hour.