Not getting e-mail notifications

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Nothing yet (1400 GMT).

Spent >30 minutes on phone with the ISP this morning. Tier 1 support couldn't find problem. It has been referred to Tier 2 (24 to 48 h response, supposedly). Even activated a web mail account with the provider (Cox Communications) and nothing from this site is there either (other e-mails are).

Tier 1 could not check the IP for blacklisting. Hoping Tier 2 will find the problem is that simple.

John

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Well keep us posted John, I have tested most things on our end and the system is, as far as I can tell, working as it should be. I'll see if Rob has any input on this.

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Some updates:

My ISP is clueless. It confirmed the IP address for this site is not on their blacklist. I am supposed to get a call from an e-mail expert. I won't hold my breath.

To help narrow possibilities, I submitted a new registration (John2) -- sorry if that violates rules. Maybe I can pay penance later. That registration used a completely different e-mail that gets forwarded to me.

Dave, You can spot it as the address includes a variation of my name (janhalt) and is a .edu. That was a little more than an hour ago, and I have not yet gotten the activation notice at either the edu address or the address to which it is forwarded. However, I can sign on with that user name, but do not have any permissions.

If you can easily determine whether the activation e-mail has been sent, that would help. I will try to get it tracked by the edu site.

John

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Some updates:

My ISP is clueless. It confirmed the IP address for this site is not on their blacklist. I am supposed to get a call from an e-mail expert. I won't hold my breath.

To help narrow possibilities, I submitted a new registration (John2) -- sorry if that violates rules. Maybe I can pay penance later. That registration used a completely different e-mail that gets forwarded to me.

Dave, You can spot it as the address includes a variation of my name (janhalt) and is a .edu. That was a little more than an hour ago, and I have not yet gotten the activation notice at either the edu address or the address to which it is forwarded. However, I can sign on with that user name, but do not have any permissions.

If you can easily determine whether the activation e-mail has been sent, that would help. I will try to get it tracked by the edu site.

John
Thanks for the update John. Creating a second account for troubleshooting is no problem.

You won't have any permission if you have not activated your account via the activation e-mail. The activation e-mail is automatically generated at registration time and can confirm that the e-mail has been sent to you, however because you haven't activated you are is the "Users awaiting e-mail confirmation" status.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
John, I have just received your e-mail. I will forward it to Rob for him to look at. Having seen the report I concur with the suggestion from COX.

I am surprised this appears to be only an issue for you. I would have thought had it been a problem for one ISP it would have been a problem for more.

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Let's wait and see what Rob has to say about it.

As for the activation, I suspected that e-mail was generated automatically. Nothing has been received from the .edu account. On the assumption that whatever the parent problem is, it may have affected automatic forwarding from that account, I talked with the IT dept there about turning that feature off. I will wait to do that until after Rob responds.

Like you, I can't understand why it seems to affect only my account. I am running Outlook Express and Windows XPsp3 (Pro), if that may make a difference.

John

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello John,

Can you see the emails by webmail?
Many providers offer webmail as a service.
This way you can see if the mail has arrived at the provider.

Greetings,
Bertus

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Nope, nothing on webmail either.

It would be interesting to hear from other members in my area (Cleveland, Ohio) who may also be using Cox servers.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
No, on the spam filter. The ISP ran some diagnostics that apparently found errors in the e-mail protocol from AAC. I forwarded that to Dave, and he is taking it up with Rob. It was well above my level of understanding.

What is completely unexplained is why it seems to affect only my account(s). That is why I asked whether others in my geographic area may be using the same provider. Some providers may be less sensitive to the errors than others.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It's a miracle. I just got two e-mails from AAC for threads I had subscribed to.

I notice that jrap is signed on concurrently. I guess that must be the trick.

Thanks for fixing it.

John

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
It isn't working for me... With another group that I am a member of, if I post at all on a specific forum, it will sent me an email if someone else has posted. This doesn't happen on AAC with me...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
AAC is thread specific. If you post in a thread or subscribe using Thread Tools, you should get a notice when someone else posts to that thread. I believe it is set so you get only one notice (i.e., the first reply) until you revisit the thread.

If you are not getting those notices, let a moderator or administrator (jrap) know.

Mine seems to be working now.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
John,

Rob has done some tweaking behind the scenes, including addressing the issues detailed in your ISP report. The sendmail/MailScanner has also been restarted (which seems to have coincided with the issues being resolved as mentioned above). This should solve the problems you have been experiencing.

We'd appreciate you let us know if you, ELECTRONERD, or anyone continues to experience problems and we can investigate further.

Please keep us posted in the next few days, even if it is to say all is ok.

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi Dave,

The e-mail notifications have been working better than the USPS since Rob's tweaking. Not a single e-mail has been misdirected and delivered to my neighbor.

Thanks for pursuing this with me.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi Dave,

The e-mail notifications have been working better than the USPS since Rob's tweaking. Not a single e-mail has been misdirected and delivered to my neighbor.

Thanks for pursuing this with me.

John
No problems John. It has helped us fix some issues on our end and it now works as expected for you. Mutual satisfaction.

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Stopped getting notifications yesterday. Did not self cure overnight.

Any changes on your end?

John

Addendum: 12:27 PM Just got one that was posted at 12:17 and e-mail shows receipt at 12:17, so it seems to be working again. Thanks.

Last edited: