Noob Transformer question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cmac0351, Aug 18, 2008.

  1. cmac0351

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jul 11, 2008
    I have been looking for a suitable transformer for a project I am working on.

    Is there a difference when the primary and secondary impedance are listed with a "CT" after the number, as in 600:600 and 600 CT: 600 CT?
  2. Audioguru

    AAC Fanatic!

    Dec 20, 2007
    CT is Center-tap. It is a winding with a center-tap that you don't need to use.
  3. SgtWookie


    Jul 17, 2007
    While you may not need to use the center tap, it could open up other possibilities.
    A 600 CT: 600 CT could also be used as:
    300: 600 CT
    600 CT: 300
    So, you could double or half the output voltage, or simply match the impedance differently. It all depends upon what you need to do.
  4. studiot

    AAC Fanatic!

    Nov 9, 2007
    Remember also that the 600 ohms or whatever is rated at the frequency of operation.

    You will not measure this with a DC ohmeter.

    Ohms law (AC version) then gives the normal current in any configuration you use.