Noob switch alert!?

ddsdavey

Joined Oct 27, 2010
Hi,i am am trying something very basic,its basically a device for reading the key off a certain drive,i have very little experience at pcb components.
Its a very basic pcb micro switch that im just using to wire to,im thinking opposing corners gives me the gnd and power pins i need? Also i only get constant continuity when the switch is held.Does this mean when used in circuit it will only be "on" whilst the button is held?
If i am completely wrong about everything could someone be kind as to guide me in the right direction.I bought these thinking it was a basic on/off button!?
Thanks guys.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
These are preset switch,you will get two flavour of them 1) NO type (normally open) and 2) NC type (normally close) .The NO types will give constant continuity when pressed and I think its the one you have.

Good Luck

ddsdavey

Joined Oct 27, 2010
Tested with a multimeter it just bleeps if pressed,if its constant then wouldnt it CONSTANTLY bleep when pressed.Whereas i have to hold to get a constant bleep.
Sorry i know im repeating myself,just lack for better description through lack of knowledge.
Is there a particular pin for gnd etc or is just one or the other?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
It is only a "momentary" N/O (normally open) SPST (single pole single throw) switch. The four pins are for mechanical strength. It will only have continuity when the button is held down. When ON, you will have continuity from both pins on one side to both pins on the other.

Ken