Noob question...

DoubleOh

Joined Jul 21, 2014
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum so Hi!

Anyway, I'm working on a project and I have a simple question to ask that I am hoping someone could answer. So, pretty much I need to create a simple circuit with different components doing different things, i.e. motors, led switches. I need to create circuit like this: (hard to understand) motor 1 connects to battery1, battery1 connects to switch1, switch1 connects to switch2, then switch2 connects to motor2, which all connects to battery1. Sorry if it's hard to understand, pretty much I used the numbers to identify the components and which one. I need switch2 to only connect/control motor2 all while being apart of the same circuit and running off the same battery and motor1 and switch1. I hope you know what I'm mean. Will the circuit do this automatically? I suspect it will not work at all without an actual circuit board. Let me try again: I need two simple circuits to run off the same battery, and only send/receive signals from there/own each circuits components.

I really hope you guys can understand, please don't get mad if it's unclear.

Thanks!

motor1------battery-----switch----

to3metalcan

Joined Jul 20, 2014
I'm having a little trouble following your description (maybe do a little doodle in paint, or something?) but the principle you're after is "parallel circuits." battery (+) connects to switch connects to motor connects back to battery (-) is one circuit...do it twice and yes, you will have two independent circuits running off the same battery. Turning one on won't turn the other on.

to3metalcan

Joined Jul 20, 2014
Doesn't matter if you have a circuit board, BTW, though it can make your build more solid. It'll work as "point-to-point" wiring...everything used to be made that way!

DoubleOh

Joined Jul 21, 2014
What I am trying to say is can I have to different simple circuits run off the same battery without interfering with each other.

Imagine the circuit below (click the link) accept, duplicated. Now run those two circuits off the same battery. Ok it still works, but would each circuit still be independently controlled?
Though technically it has become one circuit, I'm still gonna say two different ones to make it easier to understand. So with those two circuits now running off the same battery, will still one of those switches only control one of those leds? Or will one switch turn on the circuit and make the other switch have to turn on too for the both of the leds to turn on?

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/circuit-xltn.jpg

I am definitely over-complicating things...

Thanks guys.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
In circuits you can have two things:
1. Voltage divider. Here you have two circuits that receive the same current.
2. Current divider. Here you have two circuits that receive the same voltage.
So.
What do you want? Same current or same voltage? Pick one.

to3metalcan

Joined Jul 20, 2014
P.s...just build it. You can't really screw this up in any fatal or damaging way. Grab some parts and go! You'll answer your own questions in no time. Try buying some small alligator leads to connect stuff until you're ready to build it for real.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Right. It's just like if L1 and L2 were two lamps plugged into different wall outlets in your home. The status of one doesn't affect the other. Of course with a battery, there may be some small effect; turning on the 2nd lamp may dim the 1st one.