Non repetitive current in L6203

Ahmed Adel Hosni

Joined Aug 16, 2010
Hello everyone

Can anyone explain for me what's the NRPC in L6203. It's written that the current is 5A with L6201 and 10A for L6201PS/L6202/L6203 when (<1ms)
while the Pulsed Output Current for L6201PS/L6202/L6203 is 5A

Is the current 10A or 5A ?? i read also that it's 4A on some forums !! I don't know how.

Thanks for your help :)

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
To answer the question about the NRPC (non-repetitive peak current), depends on which one of the four packages you intend to use.

hgmjr

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
No, it won't work well for you.

You will need to supply your stepper with 5A continuously, and that driver is only capable of 1A continuous.

Ahmed Adel Hosni

Joined Aug 16, 2010
No, it won't work well for you.

You will need to supply your stepper with 5A continuously, and that driver is only capable of 1A continuous.
Thanks for your fast response.

Does continuous current happens if the output is always high ?? for example if it's used with a DC motor so the coil will be high for a long time ?

I'll be using it to control a stepper motor not a Dc. and if it will supply 1A continous, so what does the 5A and 10A stands for as i don't understand what's a non repetitive current and the time beside it.

thanks sqt

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Stepper motors need to have continuous current when they are holding still; to keep the rotor locked in place. If you try to use that driver for your stepper motor, you will burn it up.

You need a driver that is rated for >= 5A continuous current.

Last edited:

Ahmed Adel Hosni

Joined Aug 16, 2010
Stepper motors need to have continuous current when they are holding still; to keep the rotor locked in place. If you try to use that driver for your stepper motor, you will burn it up.

You need a driver that is rated for >= 5A continuous current.
ok i understand that you mean when i need it for braking conditions. am i right ??

but if i won't use it for braking and just for moving a table horizontally, will it supply me with 5A during my pulses ??

Note: I can't use a driver, i need to make my own circuit. That's the main part in my project discussion.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
A "non-repetitive" rating means a level which can just be tolerated for a brief time, but is not to be repeated, at least not on any regular basis. Typically a relatively long "cooling off" period is required between instances of operation at this level.

This is more like a surge rating, to cope with exceptional circumstances. If your design will routinely reach this value you can expect the device will fail.