Noise in driving a stepper motor

blackind

Joined Nov 25, 2010
Hello to Everyone,

I am trying to control a stepper motor through LabView.
I use a 35V power supply for the RTA HGD04 driver, in order to control a Sanyo -Denki 103-715-61 stepper motor. The motor rotates an axis. More specific it is mounted on monochromator in order to rotate its diffraction grating.
The datasheets are not easily found on the web, so if anyone wants them he/she can send me a personal message.
The problem is that there is a lot of noise, of low frequency, at about the frequency of the steps, while the motor rotates. I am not sure if this noise is caused by the mechanical system,due to its straps, or by the currents. I think it's not mechanical.
I use an 8-lead bipolar series connection.
Thank you in advance!

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
What else is new?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS8s5p6BMa8

It is going to be, dare I say, impossible to step a stepper and not make any noise.

You can reduce buzz in other motors by switching at frequencies that are higher than typical human audible range. But you are stepping a stepper. ;)

All the starts and stops, while loaded, convert into sound energy.

There may be some padding or sound absorption solutions, but sound will also be amplified by whatever the stepper is connected to.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Is this a new developement or recently started occuring or is it a new assembly and you discovered this on initial power up? Some stepper drivers can be tuned slightly to reducce resonance, but they are generally considered noisy in most applications. Are you sure that the motor wiring is correct and in phase? It is possible to have one or more wires "backward" and still be able to drive the stepper. Just some thoughts. A good place to look would be a paper titled "Jones on stepper motors" I think it is through the University of Iowa or someplace in the midwest but it is the definative bible of stepping stepper motors efficiently and in proper adjustement. Hope this helps.
Bob

blackind

Joined Nov 25, 2010
Nice video!

Well the motor was always there but the driver is an addition. The old control system cannot be found.
I think there are oscillations at the rotor apart from the noise, in some frequencies like 100 Hz it sounds messy and it does not rotates as it should. Above 200Hz it sounds ok.

Here is a diagram of how i connected the windings.
The left part is from the driver datasheet, the right part is from the motor datasheet no capacitors have been used.
Signals A and A- are 35Vp-p and opposite. B and B- are 35v opposite too. The driver has a current limitter at 1,75A.
The rated Voltage of the motor is 4,7 Vdc and the rated current is 1,8A.

White/black with white/orange
white/red with white/yellow
A with black
A- with orange
B with red
B- with yellow

Attachments