No thread after 300 posts

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I tried to pose a question in the PHYSICS department but it did not appear. I don't expect that over 300 posts makes me a beginner, so what have I missed? Do I perhaps need 10 answer posts in PHYSICS to post a question n that category?

ps, there were no links or @ symbols. It was just a question about electron charges written in English.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Something like "theoretical maximum positive voltage".

The question in my mind is something like, you can add all the electrons you want and get higher and higher voltages, but is there a limit to how many electrons you can remove from a theoretical sphere in a theoretical non-leaky place? Seems to me there is a limit, but I don't even know if that is true.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My suggestion, try it again, but pay special attention when it offers previous threads where the software (the VB forum software) offers alternate threads that it thinks the answer to your questions are. Make sure you are choosing the options you think you want to chose.

VB can be a bit of a problem with this. As a feature, and given that we strongly discourage hijacking here, I question its value sometimes.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
The total charge is a function of the number of charged particles separated, the voltage is a function of distance betwen the separated charges as well.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I didn't suspect that a computer program was checking my posts. and checking for what? Duplications? suspiciously unsafe posters or titles? Can you give me a link to a place where I can read about this "VB" behavior?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Discussion on this needs to be in its own thread. The OP did the right thing bringing up his problem, but...

Feedback and Suggestions Forum for providing feedback and suggestions about All About Circuits, including corrections to the e-book. This forum is not for getting help with technical questions.
Thing is, the physics forum (and other specialty forums) should be no different than the Electronics Chat or Project forums. If they are, this is something Jrap or Dave needs to fix.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I didn't suspect that a computer program was checking my posts. and checking for what? Duplications? suspiciously unsafe posters or titles? Can you give me a link to a place where I can read about this "VB" behavior?
VB is the software you are using right now, it is the forum software. VB is short for Virtual Bulletin (I think). Even notice how it will offer alternate threads when you are starting a thread? The idea is to allow you to explore other answers, so you don't reinvent the wheel.

However, this site has a rule about hijacking someone elses thread. The two imperatives don't always mix well.

It is possible there is something wrong with VB software setups, or it could be an operator error. It would be nice to figure out. :) If the former, one of the administrators can address it, if not, well....

Here is what I got when I entered your title.

If you want, I can start the thread for you?

Attachments

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I started in Physics to get technical information of a theoretical nature, but I think this particular thread has turned into providing feedback to the forum. The feedback being "how do I post a question like this?" or, "have I trodden on forbidden ground?" or "what ticks off the VB filter?"

If this discussion needs to be in its own thread, which department should it be in? I'm becoming more confused. The original thread that I tried to start was about theoretical physics, this one has become about, "what causes VB to discard a question". Where should I post this question?

ps, many thanks for making me aware of a moderator that I didn't know anything about.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It already is two threads, this one (which is the feedback), and the second one, the one you wanted originally. :D

I asked, but was not answered, possibly due to cross posting. Want me to start your Physics thread?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
We just crossed answers in time. Sorry about that. I am curious about the theoretical maximum positive voltage. It has no practical application..just curiosity. If you can figure out where to post it, please do that.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just for the record, there was a significant pause after I put the cursor in the text field under the alternate threads. I suspect you could post, but are unfamiliar with how the board responds in this situation. It isn't quite the same.

Posting thread...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just for the exercise, you could try again, and I will have the moderators delete my entry if you get it done.