No response from programmer

loue2

Joined Jun 14, 2008
I tried to update the firmware on my PIC programmer. Now, I show no connection to the device. I am using a ET-PGM PIC USB v1 Plus programmer. The software was PICkit 2. I used the PICkit 2 Firmware V2.32 update from the microchip's website to update the firmware on the programmer. When I load up the PICkit 2 software, I show no device connected / no communication. Everything worked fine before this. Is there any way to reverse what I did? Or, should I go shopping for a new programmer?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008

Attachments

Last edited:

loue2

Joined Jun 14, 2008
Thanks for the response. I think my problem is that I tried to update my ETT programmer with the PICkit 2 firmware from microchip. I should of went to the ETT site to get the new software. The software that came with the ETT programmer was PICkit 2 software. I had the programmer working using the PICkit 2 software and "burned" several practice programs to my PIC chip. Then, I saw that there was a newer version of the software so I downloaded the hex file from microchip. I ran this thru the PICkit 2 software and it loaded the new firmware into the chip onboard the programmer. I think maybe the version that came with the programmer was compatible. However, once I updated it, I think that the programmer now isn't compatible with the new update. I can't get any communication between the software and the programmer. So, if there isn't anyway to reverse what I did, then I think the programmer is no longer functional.

loue2

Joined Jun 14, 2008
Good news. When I got home today and started up my PC and plugged in the programmer, the PICkit 2 software found the programmer. I thought I rebooted after installing the firmware. So, now it works and hopefully I won't have any other issues. I may have some questions regarding programming, as I am just getting started working with microcontrollers.