No mains allowed?

Gated

Joined Jul 7, 2010
HV.jpg

Im not too familiar with this website, but how come mains powered circuits or anything that deals with higher voltage is not allowed here?

Can anyone give some insite and explain as to why?

Thank you.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The concern is for so-called transformerless circuits, that seek to get power directly off the mains. Direct mains operation is utterly unsafe. A voltage supply using a transformer is a different case.

Our concern with higher voltages depends somewhat on the application. Some are less dangerous than others. We have had questions on charging capacitor banks to hundreds of volts for rail guns and homemade tazers.

The main purpose of the forums is to support hobbyists and persons learning electronics. We have a huge audience of every possible range of interests and abilities. One guiding concern is to not promote dangerous, harmful, or unsafe circuits.

Gated

Joined Jul 7, 2010
I personally build alot of devices that either run directly on mains (take a solid state tesla coil for instance, some of mine use halfwave rectified mains and that direct mains input is fed to an IGBT/MOSFET bridge.)
so that bieng said, what is the view on discussion of tesla coils on this site?
so anything is safe, unless you choose to make it unsafe.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
so anything is safe, unless you choose to make it unsafe.
That hardly stands up to examination. Do you maintain that a DC supply that uses a capacitor to limit power from the mains is as safe as one that uses a transformer for galvanic isolation?
so that bieng said, what is the view on discussion of tesla coils on this site?
That may depend on the design.

I personally build alot of devices that either run directly on mains (take a solid state tesla coil for instance, some of mine use halfwave rectified mains and that direct mains input is fed to an IGBT/MOSFET bridge.)
We have no ability to suggest that you rethink the safety of those circuits, but they will certainly never appear on AAC.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In the forum rules this passage is noted for the safety:

2. Appropriate conduct. Forum members are responsible for the content of their posts, including information they provide, validity of this information, and any extra content they may append to the post.

Illegal or inappropriate discussion or information will be removed. When there is ambiguity in the legal status of a request or reply, the Moderators and Admin will come to a consensus on whether the discussion is appropriate to remain in the public forum.

Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.
As this is a "family" forum we like to keep things safe here.
The visitors are of all levels and ages over here.

Bertus

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Gated, there are plenty of high voltage forums out there, this is a general electronics forum. I doubt anyone is gonna slam the door closed on you for circuits that skirt the edges of reasonableness but everything should go in it's place and this forum has CLEARLY stated what it thinks is acceptable for general discussion. When in Rome...

The operation of a Tesla coil, even a well made one violates the FCC (or local equivalent) laws of most major countries.

You have to view your posts as if you're giving this information to people that think they know what it means without actually understanding the principals and saftey/legalities.