Nintendo DS Lite Circuit Board/SMD Identification HELP

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
The refdes CPx (such as CP2) most likely means Capacitor Polarized, as opposed to the ceramic caps with refdes Cx (such as C72).

The value is not given, only the date/mfg code -- you may need a schematic or BOM for reference.

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
Interesting chart Markd77, I wasn't aware of those types of markings.

I concur that it is a 100uF based on that chart. I wonder if the "jg" could refer to voltage or tolerance.

If you have a meter, you may want to turn the unit on and measure the voltage present across the capacitor. Buy one that is rated at least 25% higher in voltage, but preferably one that is rated 50% - 100% higher.

alexdcd

Joined Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for such a quick response,

I have looked all over the net and cannot find a schematic anywhere.

I'm actually studying product design so have no electronic background professionally, although i have a lot of experience in troubleshooting most circuits and replacing modular components.

I just thought it may be easier to replace the part than the whole board,

So i should try maybe a 16v 100uf Polarised Cap then?

Where could i buy such an item or could i substitute it with a through hole component from maplin?

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
It could be a tantalum or Oscon type capacitor, but a tantalum should be fine. It looks to be about a 7343 size SMD component. They should be available from DigiKey or Mouser, or probably Maplin.

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
495-1549-1-ND could be okay, but look at the datasheet dimensions and physically measure the ones you have for comparison. Note this number is cut-tape and has a minimum purchase qty of one (which is good, you don't want to have to buy an entire reel for hundreds of dollars).

However, also note that DigiKey has a minimum dollar amount (I think it's $25), so you may want to look for anything else you may need.