Nimh battery related thread ?

curry87

Joined May 30, 2010
How many amps can i draw from a fully charged 2100mah 1.4 aa (nimh)cell at a given time say a few minutes without it being an equivalent of basically shorting the cell with a thick piece of copper wire ?

curry87

Joined May 30, 2010
How do i find information like the lowest safe load resistance you can place across a aa,aaa,1.4nimh cell i looked on google without success?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
How do i find information like the lowest safe load resistance you can place across a aa,aaa,1.4nimh cell i looked on google without success?
Didn't you see my post 12 hours ago?
Battery manufacturers have websites with plenty of technical information about everything they make.
I showed Energizer's AA Ni-MH cell datasheet's graph that shows its voltage
quickly dropping with a 2.5A load and its voltage is very poor with a 5A load.
Duracell's datasheets will also look similar.
They have graphs for AAA cells too.

Can't you use Ohm's Law to calculate a resistance?
On the graph I posted the voltage when the cell is freshly charged and with a load of 2.5A is about 1.35V. Ohm's law calculates a resistance of 1.35/2.5= 0.54 ohms.
After 1 hour the voltage is 0.9V so Ohm's Law calculates a load resistance to make 2.5A to be 0.9/2.5= 0.36 ohms.

You can do the calculations for any other load current.

curry87

Joined May 30, 2010
Im sorry im not being clear to start with, basically how low does the load resistance,how high does the current have to go for a nimh cell (aa) to be considered to be short circuited ?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I showed that the cell is nearly useless with a 5A load and used Ohm's law to calculate the resistance.
If the current is too high because the resistance that shorts it is too low then the battery cell will get hot, build pressure inside then vent the pressure (and some chemicals) to avoid an explosion.