NiCd Batterie Tab main purpose?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
They make it easier to attach wires to and to assemble packs. With a tab, you don't need to solder directly to the actual battery, which requires a little more skill. Too much heat on the battery will harm it.

John

Mag

Joined Feb 16, 2011
Thank you, have a few more questions please. Is it necessary to have the Tabed batteries when you could just put single NiCd batteries in a rechargeable power tool? What would happen if you did put single NiCd batteries in? Does the Tab have anything to do with keeping the batteries evenly charged?:rolleyes:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Is it necessary to have the Tabed batteries when you could just put single NiCd batteries in a rechargeable power tool?
I have not seen a rechargeable power tool that requires only one single NiCd battery. It would not have much power output. You'd really need to have a number of batteries in series to get much use out of it. Some typical cordless drills use 12v, 14.4v or 18v packs which have 10, 12, and 15 cells in them respectively. One fairly common failure mode is where one or more cells start shorting out internally, which leads to overcharging of other cells.

What would happen if you did put single NiCd batteries in?

Sometimes, you can replace just the failed cells and wind up with a serviceable pack. Having replacement cells with tabs already welded on makes grafting them into the other cells much easier to do; otherwise you'd need to use/build a spot welder.
Does the Tab have anything to do with keeping the batteries evenly charged?
It simply provides an electrical connection point that you can easily solder. I don't recommend attempting to solder connections directly to a battery; at best the heat required will damage the battery. The tabs provide isolation from the soldering iron's heat.

Andreas

Joined Jan 26, 2009
No it is not necessary but this may depend on the receptacle (battery compartment) itself. If the device takes normal batteries (eg; AA or AAA) it will usually have a spring terminal at one end and a flat disc at the other end. Battery receptacles of this type are not designed to hold tab type batteries. As the fellow before you said. Tabbed batteries are designed so that you can easily solder wires to them and connect them in various configurations depending on what voltage and current capabilities you want.
Maybe you need to clarify exactly it is what you are trying to do. More detail might save time in the long run.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Note too that tabbed batteries and non-tabbed batteries may have very slightly different dimensions. The positive terminal on non-tabbed batteries may stick out just a little further than on tabbed batteries. I believe that is to facilitate use in battery holders.

John

Mag

Joined Feb 16, 2011
Sgt., I was referring to NiCd batteries with out Tabs, not just 1 Single batterie. That would be quite odd for a power tool. Thank you for your help.

jpanhalt, Big help with the very slightly different dimensions Thank you!

Andreas, A family member is wanting to convert a Rech. NiCd 2 x 2.4Pk = 4.8 Dremel tool to 4 untabbed AA batteries, and if posable they were also wondering if it could be converted to just 4 every day Dubble AA batteries. I think the every day batteries would be pointless not enough power, but the 4 untabbed AA batteries could work depending on construction of the case they fit in. Like jpanhalt said there are very slightly different dimensions. Thank you!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Be aware of that premade battery packs. May contain safety details like fuses. Both current and thermal fuses. So even if you manage to create your own replacement battery pack for retro fitting. It may be highly unsafe.

Mag

Joined Feb 16, 2011
You are correct, batteries aren't my thing I'm just getting info for a family member, and Thank you, knowledge is power:) How do you get Icons like that? Cute!