Ni-MH charging circuit

brmarcum01

Joined Oct 19, 2011
I have a 9.6v, 1600mAh 'nun-chuck' style airsoft battery. Its made from 8 1.2v cells in series. I would like to make a discharger/charger for it. I don't care if it is a quick charge circuit or not, but that would be nice. I found a kit (Velleman K7300) but it says it's up to 750mA. Would this still work? Do I need it to be at 1600mA? Or does that mean that it would take 2+ hours (1600/750) to charge? I'm still new at this so please keep it simple. Thanks

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is no law that says, "All batteries must be charged in one hour". Just like there is no law that says, "Whatever the battery is connected to must use up all the available current in one hour".

batteryuniversity.com has lots of good stuff on how charge all kinds of batteries, how to tell when they're full, and stuff like that. Take a look there. Then, poke around on a couple of battery manufacturers websites.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
I have a 9.6v, 1600mAh 'nun-chuck' style airsoft battery. Its made from 8 1.2v cells in series. I would like to make a discharger/charger for it. I don't care if it is a quick charge circuit or not, but that would be nice. I found a kit (Velleman K7300) but it says it's up to 750mA. Would this still work? Do I need it to be at 1600mA? Or does that mean that it would take 2+ hours (1600/750) to charge? I'm still new at this so please keep it simple. Thanks
I have this kit built. It will work for your needs but I wouldn't recommend charging it at 750mA at the charger does not have any temperature compensation or monitoring which means the battery could get hot, possible enough to cause a shortening of the batteries life. And since you are charging a string of 1.2V batteries the danger of overcharging one is very likely to happen.