Ngnutmeg difficulty

Swarf Eye

Joined Jul 29, 2010
Hello.

I'm trying to get up and running with the gEDA package. I've got more or less everything running and I'm able to use it reasonably well... except for ngnutmeg.

I've used LTspice a bunch, but I really want to get away from Windows and on to open source.

I can get gnetlist to make what appears to be a fine net file, and ngspice runs without complaint.

The issue is that I am unable to get a meaningful graph out of ngnutmeg... and I don't seem to be able to find much of any documentation on how to use it online.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much,

B

Swarf Eye

Joined Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, thanks.

I've got those documents.

I guess that my troubles are not just ngnutmeg... but I'm a touch confused right now.

At this point I'm trying to take a simple sine wave voltage source and put it into a simple voltage divider (two series 10k resistors). Then I'm trying to plot the voltage at the top of the voltage divider and then in the middle of the voltage divider. Seems like about the simplest try I can make at this point! And I'm stumped.

Here is what I've got...

Rich (BB code):
example simpleTest
v1 1 0 ac 10 sin( 5 10 1000)
r1 1 2 10k
r2 2 0 10k
.op
.tran 1ms 10ms
.plot tran v(1,2)
.end
I think I ought to just be able to run...

ngspice simpleTest.cir

...and see a plot pop up??? No Love.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

B

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I think ngspice produces a plot file which you use xplot to plot with.

Which OS? I assume it's a Linux of some kind. I use the whole gEDA package, but I use LTspice a lot as well in VirtualBox, and MPLAB, because those programs don't work well in Wine and there are few and far between Linux equivalents.