Newbies journey to "perfection" - choosing soldering station/rework station

Jokero

Joined Mar 27, 2020
Hello there guys!

I'm just getting into electronics, I started fixing some consumer electronics (consoles, phones, tablets), but I have a huge equipment issue since I'm still using cheapest possible soldering iron - like the 99 cent ones from AliExpress. I started to like fixing stuff, learn a bit more about it. While having this issue I really NEED to get better equipment, since this one is really bugging me a lot. I don't have a big budget, so the only options are from China. I'm doing some research for the past couple of weeks, and (I think) I found two good options to choose between more powerful Yihua 995d+ and Gordak 863 that has preheater station included. I don't really know if the preheater station is that necessary (especially for double-sided motherboards), or if I ever going to need it for fixing any electronics, but it's a good addition, that might come in useful somewhere down the line.

If any of you have experience with those ones or any Chinese rework soldering stations, please let me know ;).

Thanks!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008

Jokero

Joined Mar 27, 2020
Thanks for the reply!
I didn't even know that there is a Hakko station for that price, but isn't that paying extra for a brand? And also the consumables are much more expensive. I forgot to mention, that I quite need a heat gun attachment in the station since it comes in handy in desoldering eg. QFP chips.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There is a huge number of possibilities. Rather than members here making suggestions and you shooting them down, it might be more productive for you to do the leg work and suggest several possibilities that meet your criteria for comments.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
There is a huge number of possibilities. Rather than members here making suggestions and you shooting them down, it might be more productive for you to do the leg work and suggest several possibilities that meet your criteria for comments.
There were two suggestions in the initial post:
I found two good options to choose between more powerful Yihua 995d+ and Gordak 863 that has preheater station included.
I'll admit I know nothing of these two devices, and only have experience with three stations ever, so I probably can't help much in this thread. Sorry.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I have the 858D (actually not entirely sure which one they all look similar and not sure what the difference are) which is a stand-alone hot air and love it. I had a Hakko soldering iron so didn’t need an all in one or wanted it. I rarely need both at the same time. A preheated base might be nice if I was working on a whole panelized board or larger board to speed up the process and reduce its overall time being heated, I’m looking into a reflow oven now. the hot air is nice and easy for rework and similar.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
(especially for double-sided motherboards),
Don't have any knowledge of the tools you mentioned, but I've never seen a motherboard that only had two layers.

Pictures of the soldering stations mentioned:
1585322459473.png
1585322527417.png

The preheater seems like a nice option. Have never used one though.

I use an Aoyue Int2702. Have only used the hot air tool and the solder remover.
1585322777042.png

Jokero

Joined Mar 27, 2020
I have checked all the specifications from both stations, and while doing my research I discovered yet another station, mainly a Yihua 853AAA, 1350W station with all the bells and whistles I would have ever need. I'll wait for a bit longer with saving up, and I think I will get that one instead.

71CtRfjHkfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience ;)
Take care!