Newbie with a circuit diagram request. Please help.

damien89

Joined Mar 18, 2009
Hi this my first post here.

I have a Toyota pick up and would like to install a buzzer for when the engine is about to overheat. i.e. The buzzer would sound when the temperature would reach a little bit above normal running temperature but before it reaches the point were it is overheating.

My problem is that i am a novice in electronics but i am a fast learner.

Thanks for your help and time.
Damien.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Get a 12V buzzer B like the ones used in automobiles to warn lights left on, or keys left in switch, and an automotive thermal normally-open switch S for the temperature you want, connect them in series :

+12V---------B----------S----------gnd.

If the switch has two terminals, there is another way :

+12V---------S----------B----------gnd.

A wreck yard is a cheap source. Insert the switch to the radiator inlet port ducting.

damien89

Joined Mar 18, 2009
Get a 12V buzzer B like the ones used in automobiles to warn lights left on, or keys left in switch, and an automotive thermal normally-open switch S for the temperature you want, connect them in series :

+12V---------B----------S----------gnd.

If the switch has two terminals, there is another way :

+12V---------S----------B----------gnd.

A wreck yard is a cheap source. Insert the switch to the radiator inlet port ducting.
Thanks for the reply.
As i was reading your post i realized that i forgot to ask if the circuit can be used from the van's temp sensor which signal's the temp. gauge,
also can i make it variable so i can set it differently for winter and summer?
Again thanks for the diagram and immediate reply!

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
If the existing sensor is a 'sender' type for an analog meter with thermometer pointer gauge scale, the schematic to tap the signal from it may be too complex for you to tackle and may affect the on-board computer reading accuracy.

If the sensor in your van just switches on a light on the instrument panel; yes; you can connect a buzzer/beeper in parallel to its existing 'overtemperature' light.

Better leave alone the stock circuitry and add your own.

damien89

Joined Mar 18, 2009
If the existing sensor is a 'sender' type for an analog meter with thermometer pointer gauge scale, the schematic to tap the signal from it may be too complex for you to tackle and may affect the on-board computer reading accuracy.

If the sensor in your van just switches on a light on the instrument panel; yes; you can connect a buzzer/beeper in parallel to its existing 'overtemperature' light.

Better leave alone the stock circuitry and add your own.
Would this kit work?
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2476/article.html
And yes the sensor feeds the temp gauge which is an analog meter with thermometer pointer gauge scale.

Last edited: