Newbie to Electronics

rmail2006

Joined Sep 24, 2012
Hi everyone,
I've always wanted to build things such as small computers etc but I've never learn't as I really liked programing more and took a BSc Degree in Programming.

Now I've been reading up on a lot of tutorials and was going to use an Arduino board to create a small video game console, using a step by step tutorial. I then got around to thinking about creating a console from scratch, something similar to the Gameboy.

I don't have the skill to create a console yet but I'm wanting to learn.

So question is what are some good tutorials / projects I can undertake that can help me further my skills? :)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
That's a big project to start with so I hope you are dedicated to it. You might want to start with a nice platform like this: Multimedia board

You'll also need a programmer & debugger such as a PICkit 3. I have the upgrade version of this and it's the best thing I ever bought.

And welcome to the forums!

rmail2006

Joined Sep 24, 2012
Question 1 :)

What items would I need with my PIC chip to be able to read a picture from an SD card and display it on an LCD screen?

Sorry to be so vague with my questions but I'm trying my best to learn :)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
What items would I need with my PIC chip to be able to read a picture from an SD card and display it on an LCD screen?
Generally, you would need a PIC chip, an SD card and an LCD screen. :D

Don't forget you also need a program that knows how to do those functions.

There would be some other "glue" chips and caps, but what they are depends on the specific PIC and SD card and LCD display in the mix.