Newbie Timer Project help!

fehlingm

Joined Feb 13, 2013
Very new to this. I have a need for a one-shot style timer, the outcome i'm searching for is a small handheld device around the size of a credit card maybe up to 1/2" thick. One-shot style operating off whatever voltage is necessary.

I need it to have an adjustable pot for the desired time from button press to activation. The desired activation is 4 series of lights, (red,red,yellow,green) each lighting up one at a time in sequence (1,2,3,4). The max and min range is 1sec~4sec changing with the pot. More than likely I will be between 2.0~2.8sec for the most part.

Nothing extravagant. I race radio control airplanes at around 200mph and we have a verbal count for timing used with an analog stop watch. I want to change this to something a little more managable. Basically there is a pylon 607feet away, when the plane goes around 1 pylon there is a count of "one, two, ready, turn!" Then you should be past the next pylon on turn 607feet away. We use a pilot and a spotter. I already have experimented with great success using a microprocessor in my transmitter I actuate with a button that triggers a timer and vibration. This device will be for my teammate and reinforcement. The time must be adjustable due to head/tailwinds, variance of power from location to location and weather conditions.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have been working with 555 timers with little success so far.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I already have experimented with great success using a microprocessor in my transmitter I actuate with a button that triggers a timer and vibration.
Adding some LEDs to the μC seems to be the obvious answer. Is there some reason that's not feasible?

If that's not possible, you could probably use a 555 with a CD4017 (google LED chaser.)