newbie seeking guidance

abjay

Joined Mar 14, 2014
I've developed a real curiosity about electronics since replacing some capacitors on my TV, but I have some questions I can't find the answer to anywhere. I can follow simple circuit drawings and even make pcbs. I have a project in mind but I have no idea about where to start, I know what I want to achieve but how do you find out about all the whys and wheres? I think it's simple but who knows. Can anyone point me in a good direction

Thanks

Brevor

Joined Apr 9, 2011
Welcome to the forum, you can ask questions here. If your questions are something like "where can I buy parts" you should fill in your location so we can suggest places close to you.

abhaymv

Joined Aug 6, 2011
I've developed a real curiosity about electronics since replacing some capacitors on my TV, but I have some questions I can't find the answer to anywhere. I can follow simple circuit drawings and even make pcbs. I have a project in mind but I have no idea about where to start, I know what I want to achieve but how do you find out about all the whys and wheres? I think it's simple but who knows. Can anyone point me in a good direction

Thanks
Well, simulation would be a good place to start, I guess... you could use the free simulator LTSpice. Basically you can place virtual components on a virtual breadboard and see the output. That is, the voltages and currents flowing through various points.

Oh, and basic network analysis will surely help. ;)