Newbie Question -- how do relays work

Bjorn

Joined Jun 29, 2009
I understand the basic princibles of a relay switch but I am confused about how the armature moves back and forth. Using a direct current how does the current get shut off and allow the armature to go back in its original position?

I wired up a spdt relay and it keeps clicking so what shuts off the magnent? Thanks.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
What kind of realy is it (type, serial number etc). And what do you use to power it. It could be that the relay draw to much current from you power supply.

Bjorn

Joined Jun 29, 2009
Isnt it supposed to click? I picked it up at Radioshack, it is a 9v relay. I used a 470 uf capacitor and it slowed the clicking down considerably. From what i've read I assume the magnent attracts the armature to move. After the armature moves this cuts off the current thus the magnent has no effect on the armature. So what pulls the armature back into place? Is it a spring?

mbxs3

Joined Oct 14, 2009
Isnt it supposed to click? I picked it up at Radioshack, it is a 9v relay. I used a 470 uf capacitor and it slowed the clicking down considerably. From what i've read I assume the magnent attracts the armature to move. After the armature moves this cuts off the current thus the magnent has no effect on the armature. So what pulls the armature back into place? Is it a spring?
The relay should only be clicking when it is being energized or de-energized. If you have 9v going to the relay coil and a good ground then the relay should not be constantly clicking. The clicking you are hearing is the mechanical movement of the mechanisms in the relay because of the presence or lack of electromagnetic force.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Do you have the normally closed (NC) contacts in series with the coil? If so, as soon as it energizes, it will self de-energize and act like a BUZZER!