Newbie needs help.

Mustwin351

Joined Apr 11, 2013
I have two IR remote controlled PWM dimmers to control about 8 amps of 12v led strips. The two pwm dimmers are right next to each other and I can use the same remote to operate both. The issue I'm having is even though the photo transistors are about 2 inches apart, sometimes only one dimmer picks up the signal from my remote control.

What I would like to do is solder an additional photo transistor (a spare one from another dimmer) with say about 4' leads in parallel with the other two phototransistors to ensure they both receive the signal from the remote. The reason for the 4' leads from my new phototransistor is so I can hide the dimmers out of site.

My knowledge of electronics is beginner at best and I was hoping to find a simple low cost solution.

I have a feeling it can't be that simple...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Without a schematic, the answers are few. However, you might put both of the existing photo transistors on 4 inch leads and mount them right next to each other.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ditto on the need for a schematic.

If your dimmers are identical and share a common ground and/or supply voltage, it's quite possible that both dimmers could share a single sensor. Ultimately the sensor's job is to produce a voltage in response to your remote. I believe both dimmers could share that same signal voltage.

But it's all speculation without a schematic.

Mustwin351

Joined Apr 11, 2013
Thanks i think I will try that.

Being that I don't have access to a schematic it's tough to know. But can I do a length longer than 4 inches? Or would going with to long of leads affect the voltage and current to where there is not enough base current to bias the transistor?

Ideally I would like to go longer so I can hide the dimmers out of sight

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You said, 4'. I misread it as inches. Try whatever you need and see if it works. Nobody can guess from here, just try it.