newbie needs help with amp

haglered

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I am new to the forum and not very experienced with electronics. I have built a couple of kits in the past (years ago, like around 10 years ago)

Now I am in need of a small amplifier that I can carry around. I have just ordered a kit http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=2072 that I will put together and try to use as a small amplifier with a mike and a small speaker.

I think I need some help with knowing how to finish this project.

I am a soundman and very experienced with operating amps but not building them. I plan on constructing a small wooden box to house the unit and power source (batteries-of some type, I need help with this as well)

I'm just not sure how to hook up the mike jack and the outputs to the speakers. I think I can figure out how to mount the board so the pots are positioned for use.

This is strictly going to be low cost mini sound system put together by me for occasional use outdoors and carried while in use. (I plan on carrying the box in a small bag or something slung over my shoulder.

Can anyone help me know the basics on this project that I'm sure is simple to anyone experience with this kind of electronic kit.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
As you said, it looks simple from here. I expect the kit will come with instructions about how and where to connect your inputs and outputs. You just have to decide on what kind of jacks to use. A soundman should have very little trouble with that!

Put aside your doubts and wait for arrival. It's probably a lot easier than you think, and you are welcome to return here if you find a specific question.

haglered

Joined Dec 29, 2010
How about power? What kind of batteries should I use. I know volts but I am not familiar with amp ratings of batteries.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
This may also be of interest to you:
http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-Tripath-TA2020-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI

A lot of people swear by them, some complain about the low quality of the pots but if you put a little http://www.caig.com/ DeOxit in them they perform just fine and if ever necessary they're a standard pattern that can be replaced with better pots that will fit from Mouser for like 0.99 each.

A friend had one and the sound was really good, I'm seriously thinking about ordering one some day. If you do it will run fine on 12V but some have pushed them to 24V.

haglered

Joined Dec 29, 2010
You couldn't show this to me before I ordered the kit????

Oh well... I've been wanting to take on a small electronics project anyway.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
You didn't post until after you'd ordered. The things are all over the place even though the Tripath design was retired long ago when the designing company claimed bankruptcy however the chips were still plentiful so now they're on the market again.

Next time you scrape a few extra $$ together get one and compare it. As I mentioned the fidelity is supposedly pretty good but apparently the pots that Lepai used in their design aren't of the best quality thus the reason some either lube them from the start or just replace them. There have also been some complaints of EMI/RFI if you place them close to something due to the fact they're a true digital amp and aren't very well filtered/shielded in this inexpensive version. No big deal to get around either.