Newbie needs help (to help wife :) )

MadViking

Joined Feb 23, 2013
I am trying to rig a car antenna motor to AC power to operate a small gate. The gate is envisioned to be on a timer to open at a certain time and close at a certain time. I can get the mechanics to work out, my issue is the electronics.

Here's what we have:

1. Motor - Metra Electronics AW-PW22 Fully Automatic Power Antenna.Unfortunately that link is the best I could find on the internet. Specs according the packaging are: Operating Voltage=11-16VDC; Max Current=5A; Capacitance=80pf
  2. AC Adapter - Meanwell 60W Single Output Switching Power Supply.
At this point I am just trying to get the thing to work. I had it working once last night but I cannot replicate it. I quickly unhooked it when the motor wouldn't stop. Reversed the wires to reverse the polarity and get the antenna back in....but now nothing is really working except for one combination where I hear a clicking in the antenna's relay.

I am really an beginner here in this realm and I'm sure i didn't provide enough information for you guys, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I read the other chicken coop threads, but it seems all of them dealt with running those motors off of a battery that is charged. So not really my exact situation.

Let me know if you think this is doable, if I have the right pieces to do the job, or if I'm just plain nuts!

Thank you very much!

-Ken

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
it seems that you retracted it too much and the clicking noise is not some relay but the tip of antenna flicking on each revolution inside the reel as it passes the wider part. it is unable to find the exit hole when "extending".:rolleyes:
i think you may want to help it a bit and guide it "toward the light". whatever you do, don't let your wife see you struggle with this, it may be better to get another unit :D

MadViking

Joined Feb 23, 2013
Hmmmm....I took the water resistant case off of the relay and can see the switch moving when I hear the clicking. Plus, that clicking is definitely coming from the area of the relay and not the motor. No sound from the motor at all.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Assuming that your power supply is the 12V, 5A version, it just barely meets the power requirements of the motor. There is no headroom at all in the specifications. Hopefully, the motor draws less current than the specs call out and/or the power supply has more power available than its specs state.

Beyond that, can you post a diagram of the way you have it hooked up?