newbie :) i have an issue with switches to control a solenoid valve.

CrazyCrads

Joined Aug 22, 2018
hello, i am pre-planning my project before i build it and i have an issue please be patient with me im new to electronics. I would love your help but please keep it simple for me. I uploaded a picture of my workings out i would like advice or improvement, if you are interested what i am building its a remote control bb gun turret (TOY NOT DANGEROUS) with 4 axis analogue joystick, lasers, pumps and switch to control all these :) with a small air-compressor with a solenoid gas valve (no problem with this switch).

so my issue is with a set of 3 switches (for my controller);
1. 3 position toggle switch ON/OFF/ON 3 pins (to switch between a momentary 2 pins switch and a toggle 2 pins switch)
2. 2 position toggle switch ON/OFF 2 pins
3. momentary switch 2 pins

I would simply like to know if my workings out will work? Any advice or help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance for taking time from you day to help :D

Attachments

CrazyCrads

Joined Aug 22, 2018
All look good but you do need a connection at the "?" location. You don't need any switches on the negative side of the devices unless you have motors that need to reverse direction.
SG
Thanks for the reply :) , thats the part i was getting confused with because i want those 2 switches to control the same solenoid valve but switch between the two with the 3 position switch. Is there a switch i can use that is not a physical switch, or a way to stop the currant from flowing towards the second switch when its not on? Or is there a switch that can have a function of a momentary and an ON/OFF ?

Last edited:

CrazyCrads

Joined Aug 22, 2018
If under 1amp, the 1N400x series is useful for general purpose such as this.
Max.
I took your advice and came up with the attached image. I am a total novice and i do not know the correct symbols but i tried my best :) could you look it over for me please. The solenoid valve is 350mA i probably should have put that on diagram but i will learn :D Also i hear the diodes reduce voltage would i need to compensate for this somehow or is it not true?

Thanks
James.

Attachments

CrazyCrads

Joined Aug 22, 2018
For the 3 way switch schematic I don't see any need for steering diodes.

Not sure what you mean exactly but I don't think so.
SG
For the 3 way switch schematic I don't see any need for steering diodes.

Not sure what you mean exactly but I don't think so.
SG
Please have a look at my last attached file basically i want the use of temporary complete circuit and a permanently complete circuit for my solinoid valve without them interfering in any way, any advice would be great :)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I took your advice and came up with the attached image. I am a total novice and i do not know the correct symbols but i tried my best :) could you look it over for me please. The solenoid valve is 350mA i probably should have put that on diagram but i will learn :D Also i hear the diodes reduce voltage would i need to compensate for this somehow or is it not true?
That is essentially the way they are used, generally the .7v or so drop is not an issue.
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK, please correct me if I am wrong. It looks like you want to trigger a pneumatic solenoid using either SW1 or SW2 where SW1 is a normally open momentary push button switch and SW2 is a single pole single throw (On/Off) switch. Above those two switches you have a SPDT (ON-OFF-ON) which will enable either SW1 or SW2. Now if that much is correct I guess I do not see any need for using steering diodes since either SW1 or SW2 will only do something depending on the position of your SPDT switch above them. Now if that is correct so far I don't see the need for the upper SPST switch. If I eliminate the SPDT switch and apply power (+) to the top of SW1 and SW2 then pressing SW1 with SW2 open will energize the solenoid. Clowsing SW2 will energize the solenoid. Pressing SW1 with SW2 closed won't do anything since the solenoid is energized through SW2. Unless there is a logical reason for the SPDT upper switch I see no need for it?

Why won't this work?
Switched Solenoid.png
The push button is a normally open momentary and SW2 is a SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) switch.

Ron

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Pressing SW1 with SW2 closed won't do anything since the solenoid is energized through SW2. Unless there is a logical reason for the SPDT upper switch I see no need for it?
Seems like that last scenario is the critical question. Is there ever a situation in which SW2 would be closed (on,) but you want that to be ignored and for the solenoid to be off? If the ability to override SW2 is critical, then the SPDT switch is necessary, but if it's ok to turn SW2 off anytime you want to use SW1, then the additional switch can be omitted.

Two switches instead of three seems like a more logical setup to me, but it all depends on the intended use case and method of operation.

CrazyCrads

Joined Aug 22, 2018
OK, please correct me if I am wrong. It looks like you want to trigger a pneumatic solenoid using either SW1 or SW2 where SW1 is a normally open momentary push button switch and SW2 is a single pole single throw (On/Off) switch. Above those two switches you have a SPDT (ON-OFF-ON) which will enable either SW1 or SW2. Now if that much is correct I guess I do not see any need for using steering diodes since either SW1 or SW2 will only do something depending on the position of your SPDT switch above them. Now if that is correct so far I don't see the need for the upper SPST switch. If I eliminate the SPDT switch and apply power (+) to the top of SW1 and SW2 then pressing SW1 with SW2 open will energize the solenoid. Clowsing SW2 will energize the solenoid. Pressing SW1 with SW2 closed won't do anything since the solenoid is energized through SW2. Unless there is a logical reason for the SPDT upper switch I see no need for it?

Why won't this work?
View attachment 158548

The push button is a normally open momentary and SW2 is a SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) switch.

Ron
That is exactly what i want you explained it very well, but i get confused with the connections from battery to the switch loop and from that loop to the positive of solenoid. how will i go about connecting 3 wires on each side? Sorry if im not explaining very well.

what would happen to the valve if both switches where closed?

James.

CrazyCrads

Joined Aug 22, 2018
I have. What are you using to power the solenoid? The first schematic shows a battery, not clear on the second schematic.
SG
i will be using 5V from a PDB that will either be powered by a 3s lipo or most probably a bunch of 18650 cells just thats not my problem just thought it would be unnecessary to include it im just confused about the switches and also i do not know the correct symbols for everything.

James.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
That is exactly what i want you explained it very well, but i get confused with the connections from battery to the switch loop and from that loop to the positive of solenoid. how will i go about connecting 3 wires on each side? Sorry if im not explaining very well.

what would happen to the valve if both switches where closed?
If it were configured like my little drawing either switch will energize the solenoid. Now if I am holding the push button switch closing it the solenoid is energized. Now if while doing that I close the other switch the already energized solenoid just remains energized. So now I have both switches closed, solenoid energized. If I release the button the solenoid remains energized through S2, if I open S2 while still holding the button the solenoid remains energized until I release the button. Either switch will energize the solenoid and while the solenoid is energized closing the other switch won't do anything.

Adding the SPDT switch or as you call it the 3 wire switch merely gives you the option of selecting the option of only the push button or only the SPST switch to activate the solenoid. Now if for any reason you need things that way then by all means include the SPDT switch but unless there is a need it really serves no purpose.Here is the same drawing with the inclusion of SW3 which is a DPST Double Pole Single Throw switch. It can have a center Off position so when it the center position neither switch SW1 or SW2 will do anything.

This is all a matter of how you want your solenoid to operate. Just as example I assume the Normally open push button switch to be the trigger? You need to write down exactly how you want this to work, exactly how events take place, that's where it all begins and what your drawing will be built upon.

Switched Solenoid 1.png

Ron

CrazyCrads

Joined Aug 22, 2018
If it were configured like my little drawing either switch will energize the solenoid. Now if I am holding the push button switch closing it the solenoid is energized. Now if while doing that I close the other switch the already energized solenoid just remains energized. So now I have both switches closed, solenoid energized. If I release the button the solenoid remains energized through S2, if I open S2 while still holding the button the solenoid remains energized until I release the button. Either switch will energize the solenoid and while the solenoid is energized closing the other switch won't do anything.

Adding the SPDT switch or as you call it the 3 wire switch merely gives you the option of selecting the option of only the push button or only the SPST switch to activate the solenoid. Now if for any reason you need things that way then by all means include the SPDT switch but unless there is a need it really serves no purpose.Here is the same drawing with the inclusion of SW3 which is a DPST Double Pole Single Throw switch. It can have a center Off position so when it the center position neither switch SW1 or SW2 will do anything.

This is all a matter of how you want your solenoid to operate. Just as example I assume the Normally open push button switch to be the trigger? You need to write down exactly how you want this to work, exactly how events take place, that's where it all begins and what your drawing will be built upon.

View attachment 158561

Ron

Thank you :) you have most probably saved me a load of hassle. sorry i took so long yo reply, been a little busy. i appreciate you help.
James.