Newbie here needing help

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
No problem. If I don't respond in a timely manner feel free to remind me of the post via PM. I do have a life, but this is part of it.

golfersphen

Joined Jan 9, 2011
I have a few questions on the parts list.

you listed the use of 3 diodes, however you did not state what capacity the diodes should be. will it matter?

What are the items you labels as Q1, Q2, ands Q3?

What is the 7555 part? I want to assume that is for the timer you talked about but i would like to make sure.

The switches you have shows switches 1, 2, 4, and 8. what kind of switches are these that i should get?

now if i decided to not use the led's on the output (D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6) or decide to use that at a later time, can i still use this on the normal light circuit with out worring?

What is the Vcc connection? i want to assume that is a direct connection to the vehicle battery but you know what they say about assuming...

Lastly, previously, someone talked about SMD LED's. What are these? I am sure i am looking in the wrong place, but I can not find what SMD stands for.

Thank you for allowing me to ask what may appear to be stupid questions. This is proving to be a fun diversion from life. haha

Thanks again

golfersphen

Joined Jan 9, 2011
i forgot to post the parts list that i created from the diagram you gave. please let me know if I got anything wrong. I know this parts list may look slightly off since i can not post the same symbols you have on your diagram

# Component capacity
R1 Resistor 1Kn
R2 Resistor 10Kn
R3 Resistor 20Kn
R4 Resistor 39Kn
R5 Resistor 82Kn
R6 Resistor 4.7Kn
R7 Resistor 10Kn
R8 Resistor 100Kn
R9 Resistor 270n
R10 Resistor 270n
R11 Resistor 270n
R12 Resistor n
C1 Capacitor - Polarized 100uF
C2 Capacitor - Polarized 100uF
C3 Capacitor - NON Polarized 0.1uF
C4 Capacitor - NON Polarized 0.1uF
C5 Capacitor - Polarized 220uF
CR1 Diode
CR2 Diode
CR3 Diode
Q1
Q2
Q3
D1 LED
D2 LED
D3 LED
D4 LED
D5 LED
D6 LED
Vcc

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OPPs, wrong thread...

Use 1N4001 diodes.

The transistors are also not critical, I usually go for 2N2222A or PN2222A. Radio Shack sells NPN assorted transistors very reasonably, as well as PNP. I am assuming you can tell the difference in the schematic.

The 7555 is a CMOS 555. The Radio Shack equivalent is the TLC555. I picked it for its low current use (do not want to be discharging the car battery).

You mentioned using DIP switches, I went with it. The numbers are approximate times in minutes.

Vcc is the + power supply.

SMD = Surface Mount LEDs. I'm not sure where that came from, as I didn't recommend them. You probably need conventional LEDs.

I would definately breadboard this circuit to be sure it does what you want it to before tearing into your car.

golfersphen

Joined Jan 9, 2011
So at the transistors the components labeled with the Q's? As for telling the difference between the NPN and the PNP transistors (the Q components), i have no clue.

For the dip switches, is there anything special in them i should look for? or are they very simple on-off switches with nothing else?

it was someone else who talked about SMD's in the thread. Off the top of my head, i dont remember his name.

Breadboard is something i am planning on buying.

now if i decided to not go with LED's yet, can i just leave R9, R10, and R11 and the LED's out and it still work with the stock bulbs?

Darin

OPPs, wrong thread...

The transistors are also not critical, I usually go for 2N2222A or PN2222A. Radio Shack sells NPN assorted transistors very reasonably, as well as PNP. I am assuming you can tell the difference in the schematic.

You mentioned using DIP switches, I went with it. The numbers are approximate times in minutes.

SMD = Surface Mount LEDs. I'm not sure where that came from, as I didn't recommend them. You probably need conventional LEDs.

I would definately breadboard this circuit to be sure it does what you want it to before tearing into your car.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The keys on the top will work also. The numbers are the thing while holding the <ALT> key down, using <ALT> like you would if it were shift.

You are biting off a rather large project if you don't have experience with electronics. A lot of my The 555 Projects have decent pictures how to use the transistors on a protoboard from the schematic, I strongly recommend you use something similar to test your circuit before wiring it.

At this stage ask lots of questions. We don't mind. We might not have the time to give a complete answer, but I will come back, always.

golfersphen

Joined Jan 9, 2011
Bill,

Yes I am biting of a large project, but that is half the fun! haha I have the time, and the desire, so why not jump straight into the deep end with the sharks. ;-)

So is the transistors the components labeled with the Q's?

For the dip switches, is there anything special in them i should look for? or are they very simple on-off switches with nothing else?

now if i decided to not go with LED's yet, can i just leave R9, R10, and R11 and the LED's out and it still work with the stock bulb

i will look into your 555 projects today.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Q# is pretty much a convention for transistors. The articles I referred you do should help you figure out which is an NPN and which is a PNP.

If you use a light they tend to use a lot more power. I may need to redesign for it.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
ahh. i dont have a numeric keypad. that explains it. tomorrow, i will dig out my use keypad and give it a try.

thanks
If youre using a laptop you should have a numeric keypad available as a function, look to the right side and the numbers will probably be in some other color, hold down Fn with alt and hit the numbers and it should work.

golfersphen

Joined Jan 9, 2011
ok, i officially declare temporary defeat on this project. haha... It is something I am going to look into, but so far, trying to understand the science and math behind this, is not going well. ugg...

I want to Thank all of your, Especially you Bill for the design, for your input and advice. Once things settle down here (minor disaster with my sister and her house) I will be looking to get a breadboard and trying to build it and understand from that aspect. But until then, I can not thank you guys enough. You guys were great!

Thanks again

golfersphen

Joined Jan 9, 2011
Bill,

Thanks for the offer of help. Do you know anything about asbestos? there has been a situation at my sisters house due to a contractor mess up, that is causing her to lose EVERYTHING in the house. So I put everything on hold while I assist her in any way i can. Also, i was given a nice ham (2mm/440) radio for my jeep, so i am starting to study up on it so i can get my license and actually use it.

So once this mess with my sisters house is over and done with, I will come back to this side project of mine that everyone here has been more than helpful with.

Again, thank you for all your help and input. I will be back to let you all know how well i do. ;-)

darin