Newbie friend requests?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What do you do with newbie friend requests? I think just like anywhere a friendship should be built over time, If everyone would send a friend request to everyone else then it sort of takes the meaning out of the friendship request.

I don't like to be rude and just deny the request. It is sort of flattering to get one but a simple than you will do if you help someone out. Maybe if someone helps you out a lot over time that might warrant a friendship request.

How do others feel? Am I making something out of nothing?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I get friend requests from new members from time to time.

As I have the same opinion as you on how to fill my contacts' list, I politely deny them with a PM, explaining why I rejected them.

In my case, it has to do with the fact that the request is for friendship, and since friendship is built over time and with effort, I can't accept it. But I always express my hope that the new member will stay around long enough to warrant an accepted friend request.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Personally I don't usually pay any mind to the friend requests, regardless of who it's from. To me it doesn't really serve a purpose, so I just ignore it no matter what.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Personally I don't usually pay any mind to the friend requests, regardless of who it's from. To me it doesn't really serve a purpose, so I just ignore it no matter what.

So that friend request that I sent to you and you denied. It wasn't personal then was it? Or was it? :eek:

:)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
So that friend request that I sent to you and you denied. It wasn't personal then was it? Or was it? :eek:

:)
I was not aware you sent me a friend request....?

When I first joined the forum and didn't know how things worked I sent and accepted friend requests, but I quickly learned to just ignore them. I don't mean anything personal by it.

Matt

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I do my best to make sure my online personality is of such that no one in their right mind would want me for a friend. :p

(Hey it works in real life so why change a good thing!?!) :eek:

That said. If you have nothing nice to say come sit by me and we will compare notes. :D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm pretty selective. I wouldn't want a hundred "friends" I can't remember. However, I have made some connections that seem real with some of the people here. For instance, I talk to strantor a lot. Bernard and I rarely find ourselves in the same thread due to very different backgrounds, but he's competent and a valuable contributer to the site.