newbie chaser circuit help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanctfy

Joined Jan 31, 2010
im trying to make a chasing turn signal on a car. i have a 4017 and a 555 ic hooked up to a board of leds. i had it blinking great on these ic's for a while...til i unplugged it(i think static discharge played a role) but in order to do it that way i have to bypass the flasher relay. id really just like to use the blinking power from the turnsignal on the car already to make the leds blink sequentially in a chase pattern. i have a board of leds that has 6 rows of leds, 4 leds in each row. resistors are already in and things are ready to go. how can i hook it up to have them blink left row to right row? i figured the blinker circuit should take place of the 555 timer and just hook it to pin 14(clock) but that didnt work. can i do something like put a capacitor at the start of each string or something? any help will be greatly appreciated. ive worked on this circuit for months now. ive had many people try to figure it out with no success.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
im trying to make a chasing turn signal on a car. i have a 4017 and a 555 ic hooked up to a board of leds. i had it blinking great on these ic's for a while...til i unplugged it(i think static discharge played a role) but in order to do it that way i have to bypass the flasher relay. id really just like to use the blinking power from the turnsignal on the car already to make the leds blink sequentially in a chase pattern. i have a board of leds that has 6 rows of leds, 4 leds in each row. resistors are already in and things are ready to go. how can i hook it up to have them blink left row to right row? i figured the blinker circuit should take place of the 555 timer and just hook it to pin 14(clock) but that didnt work. can i do something like put a capacitor at the start of each string or something? any help will be greatly appreciated. ive worked on this circuit for months now. ive had many people try to figure it out with no success.

There has been a lot of debate on this forum about exactly what your doing. Just be aware that a lot of states frown on these kinds of projects (as in ticket time). While LEDs are extremely reliable, the design can have a lot of things go wrong. In addition the exact color is also heavily legislated.

A search goes a long way...

LED flasher circuit resistor question

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That is correct - there are just too many issues of reliability and legality. Something made to standards is one thing, homemade signal replacements are entirely another.

Status
Not open for further replies.