New to circuits

Mr.noob

Joined May 22, 2013
Hello all.

I'm brand new here and this is my first post. I currently have an idea that I would love to make a reality. So far today I have taught myself Ohm's law and how to run LED's in series. Also calculating the resistors for LED's. I am trying to educate myself as much as I can and trying not to be a pest.

I have been looking at a lot of schematics and trying to draw one myself for this project. Like I said I'm still educating myself and trying to learn the proper symbols.

So here is the idea.

The power source is 12V.

I would like to have a infrared switch turn on a series of solid 3 white LED's.

In the same circuit I would like a second switch that when turned on turns on a series of 3 blinking white LED's but turns off the first series of LED's.

As the second switch is turned on I would like it to be on a timer. In X amount of second the whole circuit resets itself.

I would like to use infrared because of body heat. I was also thinking of a weighted switch.

I apologize about my grammar and punctuation.

Regards, Cam

Mr.noob

Joined May 22, 2013
I have just researched that I could use a NE555 timer for my blinking lights.

I never got to my questions about this project.

Do switch's alter current?
Will I have to recalculate my resistors for my LED's?
My biggest question is there such a switch that could direct power from one circuit to another with a timer?

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Quite honestly, I think you'd be better off using a microcontroller. Learn a standard programming language, like C, and use it to program a small microcontroller, such as a PIC or AVR. That chip, if programmed properly, will do everything you could possibly want it to do. It will also make the circuit smaller and easier to build/use.

Just something to look into ;)

Best wishes,
Matt

c.marsh

Joined May 16, 2009
worth noting many avr's seem to have an operating voltage of 2v to 5.5v so this can be run on battery power as well.

what would you be doing with it all? like what is its ultimate use?

there are pleanty of programmers around here, I myself am learning to program although i am using arduino to learn because of the prototyping capability before programing any pics/avr's.

i've probably learnt enough that i can program an Atmel chip to do what you want it too but it's well advisable to learn to program yourself as the sky is literally the limit once you know the basics.

another few points about arduino:

1) VERY difficult to "destroy" the board
2) LOTS of examples and tutorials available
3) incredibly popular so lots of sketches (programs) and information available
4) cheap, you can buy a starter kit with an arduino R3 board and loads of extra components for just under £40 on ebay and its worth the money
5) examples include push button uses, blinking led's and PIR sensors.

I was scared about learning to program thinking "oh im going to trash it" but its not that scary. google "arduino" and download the software (its free) it includes all the examples so you can have a look at what you're dealing with.

of course, if you'd rather have the code written and assemble the circuitry attatched let me know and i'll see what i can put together, but the questions would be how fast the led blinks, for how long, type of button (latching/momentary) how long the 3 solid leds stay on for (certain amount of time or until button is pressed) and any other related information.

Last edited: