New to circuits help appreciated

lightingman

Joined Apr 19, 2007
Hi,

It is dificult to say, it is C or F depending if it is upside down or not (not being funny).
Also the photo is not that clear.
Have you checked the LED with a battery and resistor, have you checked the output of the driver for the correct output level, have you connected the display to the correct driver outputs (we have all done this)...

Daniel.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Provided your 7-segment display has a decimal point, you could move the connection from the failed segment to the decimal point and see if the decimal point lights or not.

hgmjr

ecb123

Joined Mar 6, 2008
I am surprised with the oxymoron, hgmjr made in his statement; usually his comments are sound. (An oxymoron-combines two terms that are normally contradictory)

hgmjr-Super Moderator
Provided your 7-segment display has a decimal point, you could move the connection from the failed segment to the decimal point and see if the decimal point lights or not.
hgmjr

March 12/08
What I believe hgmjr is trying to say is that the segment display may or may not be failed; and by moving the wire connected from the segment LED in question to the decimal segment LED (if provided) may or may not indicate a fault with the segment LED in question-and if there is no decimal segment LED available then test with any other working LED segment.

Though there are two obvious facts here that went unnoticed. First the problem may not be with the segment display at all. The breadboard trace may simply be at fault. Also the picture provided by Quantum22 clearly shows 5 LED segments lit up-so the segment “g” along with the segments “c” or “f” also may or may not be working.

Therefore Quantum22 you must troubleshoot your circuit for these conditions:

Double check all wiring and continuity of traces in question to the seven segment LED. (May have to move the segment display to a new location if trace faulty) Along with the tests described above by Lightingman will suffice. Testing the segment display (out of circuit) with a battery and resistor will give you immediate results. Though if it works then you know your problem is elsewhere. (wiring, traces, display driver…)

ecb123

Quantum22

Joined Mar 11, 2008
YES SIR, i shall check my wiring, and the decimal point and everything else, i will get back to you guys with the outcome

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
What I believe hgmjr is trying to say is that the segment display may or may not be failed; and by moving the wire connected from the segment LED in question to the decimal segment LED (if provided) may or may not indicate a fault with the segment LED in question-and if there is no decimal segment LED available then test with any other working LED segment.
Thanks ecb123,

You captured my intended comment perfectly.

hgmjr