New Sword

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
I have a new sword on order. It should be here, by Friday. If you are wondering why I need a sword, well I have a dozen almost good reasons. Mostly, I just really really wanted it. It looks really nice, and shiny.

Best part is; it's not tempered, and it comes to a really sharp point, so you can stick someone, and have it bind, so you stick them, and it sticks in them.
(speaking out of sarcasm)

https://www.swordnarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LP-893WT

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well crap, for $30... jeez.. When I was a kid, I had to save $300-$400 to get something like this.. But back then they were mostly hand made...Im not so sure they were hand forged blades, but the etching, hilt and handle work was all artisan...oh, the good ole days..

And people are still protecting themselves and their homes with swords. Just recently here in MD, a homeowner stumbled on a burglar and the burglar got dispatched by a sword. I usually grab a golf club or a .44 ;)

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...076_1_samurai-sword-samurai-weapon-pontolillo

Last edited:

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
swords,cool.I have a workmate likes collect old style swords. I have seem them.
"And people are still protecting themselves and their homes with swords"--ha,funny,sounds like in 14th century:cool:

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
Well crap, for $30... jeez.. When I was a kid, I had to save $300-$400 to get something like this.. But back then they were mostly hand made...Im not so sure they were hand forged blades, but the etching, hilt and handle work was all artisan...oh, the good ole days..

And people are still protecting themselves and their homes with swords. Just recently here in MD, a homeowner stumbled on a burglar and the burglar got dispatched by a sword. I usually grab a golf club or a .44 ;)

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...076_1_samurai-sword-samurai-weapon-pontolillo
In this case, it's a matter of, "You get what you pay for", I would only want to use it if I had no other weapons around. It is sharp, but it's also very soft steel, but steel is steel, right? I have it mostly for show, you must admit; it is a really nice looking sword.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Oh, its a beauty. as for the steel is steel comment...not so much. Spend a month with steel fastners (nuts and bolts) and you will learn quickly that steel is NOT steel.

Soft steel will bend before breaking, and not hold an edge. If you strike this against something, you will most likely leave a dent in the sword edge.

So, dont go swinging this around...Keep it pretty, and sharp in case you need it one day.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. I just ordered 8 of these (paid for half) for my DeMolay group. Just what I need, a bunch of hyper 12-16 year olds (the cut off is 20) sneaking around trying to play with the swords when the advisers aren't looking. Needless to say, they are under lock and key.

They are going to be used for a ceremonial function we've been asked to do twice in the last year. Seems we've been discovered, all of a sudden we're a very popular group during officer installations of Eastern Star and Rainbow Girls (and Masons). We had to twist their arms hard for the Rainbow Girls, the opposite group from DeMolay, age range 11-19. Oh, please don't make us go and impress the girls! This is our real function as advisers, to repress all that fun they could be having!

Jim (AKA TheFox) talked me into letting him buy one too. Sigh.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
AWWWW DDAAAADD!! All the other kids parents let them have one!

Something like that?

Just kidding Fox. :D

tee-he-he ;)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
AWWWW DDAAAADD!! All the other kids parents let them have one!
Now now kid this is America the USA. You can not run around with a sword. People can be hurt. How about we two go down to the gun depot tomorrow and get you a nice gun instead. How about a about nice Sig Sauer, or what the heck. Your grades have been good this semester you deserve a H&K MP5. I guess all your friends would be dying to see you with one of those

Last edited:

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
I love your choice of words, t06afre, "...Dying to see you."

Joining the United States Marines, just for the sword seems wrong, somehow.

I have "seen" someone "catch" a bullet with his teeth. It was on one of those magic specials on the discovery channel. It looked fake before they did the slow replay. As for the steel, I meant, flesh is weaker than steel, always.

Also, I have a possession, in DeMolay that requires a sword; is another part of the reason.

Great news everyone, my weapon of mass destruction is here.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Great news everyone, my weapon of mass destruction is here.
The eastern world, it is exploding. Violence flarin, bullets loadin. You're old enough to kill, but not for votin. You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin. Mm, no no, you don't believe. We're on the eve of destruction. I would say why can not everybody be more like say Paris Hilton. That would make the planet Earth a much more pleasant place to stay in.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Oh sure, you mock! I'm arguing with the other advisers that we need to dull these edges. They aren't super sharp, but here and there I detect something with my thumb.

Last thing I need is to see a sword being swung my way, as the the last thing I see.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Jeez, if that was the case, wouldn't you prefer it to be as sharp as possible?

It would suck if it only went half-way through your neck and it took a while to die.

--eeek--

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So how many swords have you handled or supervised the handling of? :) Ya gotta start somewhere. We've been arranging lessons in sword etiquette. There is something about kids and swords, I blame anime myself.

It is fun watching these kids grow up, a year makes a huge difference.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
So how many swords have you handled or supervised the handling of? :) Ya gotta start somewhere. We've been arranging lessons in sword etiquette. There is something about kids and swords, I blame anime myself.

It is fun watching these kids grow up, a year makes a huge difference.
Of course it would be nice to keep all lethal items of the street. But the problem is the The National Sword Association of America, or NSA, NSA is an American non-partisan, non-profit organization which lists as its goals the protection of the Second Amendment of the United States Bill of Rights and the promotion of sword ownership rights For more than 125 years the NSA has provided generations of Americans with programs focused on safety, education and responsibility. They are well connected, and their lobbyist have for long time exploited a carte blanche in the congress. So I do not think the United States will se any sword control laws for a very long time

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stefanandrea Homework Help 1