New Power Suppy - Does this sound rightt??

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I was thinking of making a shorting bar out of a piece of aluminum. I think I have seen this on other power supplies?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Applying a short between the output terminals allows you to set a level of current that will you desire to protect any circuits you are testing. It doesn't take a very big wire to carry the full output of your power supply. (24AWG will carry 3.5 amps all day long)
Many entry level bench supplies don't even have digital meters and the analog meters are hard to interpret .01 amp. Unless you are doing very high accuracy experimenting, what you have is, as Tony the Tiger says, "GREAT!"

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I was thinking of making a shorting bar out of a piece of aluminum. I think I have seen this on other power supplies?
If you're just using it to set the current limit, you can use anything that won't melt itself or your binding posts.
A heavy-duty momentary pushbutton on the front panel would have been handy.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I think you set current limits with voltage set to zero. At zero volts and shorted leads, the unit goes into "program mode" so you can set max current. I don't think current even flows, you are only setting the limit and using the current meter to view your set point.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I think you set current limits with voltage set to zero. At zero volts and shorted leads, the unit goes into "program mode" so you can set max current. I don't think current even flows, you are only setting the limit and using the current meter to view your set point.
Institutions say to set voltage to 3-5V.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Is this for calibration or general use?

In general use, I usually set the voltage low, then increase current, if the voltage keeps climbing beyond what is expected, I look for the problem.

For calibration of the display, any wire that can handle ~5A for a minute or two would work. So, 22 ga or larger.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
If the wire you are using to connect the supply to your device cannot handle the current to do this test... then you've been using the wrong wire all along.