New oscilloscope

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
I may be old school but I too would recommend you consider an older used 2 channel Tektronix analog scope. I've seen model 465s in good condition sell for under $200 on E-bay at times. Their service manual and user forums should allow you to repair it in the future if required, but mine seems to work forever. There are people who will repair/restore these quality scopes if needed.

Of course the trick is to be able to find a good seller that has a good record and possibly willing to take it back if you are not pleased with it, some will. Also shipping costs have to be factored in also.

Good luck

Lefty

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I bought a used Tektronix 2215 60MHz O-scope from E-bay that had a disclosed problem with one of the input channels. My $5 bid won; shipping was $35.

It's perfectly useable in just single channel mode. The big plus is I found the owners and service manual online and downloaded them, so I can repair it when I feel the need to do so (it's a spare; I have another dual-trace 'scope).

The problem with these newer 'scopes is that they're all computerized, you can't get the service manuals for them, and even if you did, you wouldn't be able to fix or calibrate them without the diagnostics software.

The older 'scopes don't have some of the nice features of the newer 'scopes, but you can fix them yourself. The new computerized versions cost a fortune to get calibrated or repaired.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
SgtWookie,

I understand what you say but I still tend to digital ones. I think I will buy the one I told you, it has good functions. I am still in doubt. ;)

AchMED

Joined Aug 5, 2008
There’s nothing wrong with that scope (Rigol). I read a lot of positives from people who have them.High sampling rate RT and deep memory.

The entry level DSO market is competitive. This is one reason you are seeing lower prices in this segment including TEK’s.

I’ve used TEK’s all through school and agree you can’t beat there older analog scopes. They seem to be concentrating now mostly on there high end line of DSO’s because most other entry level DSO’s blow there entry level DSO’s out of the water. We had two TEK DSO’s in our lab but I didn’t really have time to figure out all there function’s other then using them for scope captures for lab write-up’s. This was 4 yr’s ago and DSO’s have come a long way since then.

Having used both Analog and DSO’s if I could only have one I would take the DSO hands down. I purchased a scope similar to that actually, this one.

http://www.tequipment.net/InstekGDS-2102.html

I’ve only had it about a year but no problems and it’s got a lifetime warranty, and the Instek shop is only an hour from my house if something should go wrong.

If I were you spend the extra hundred and get it off an authorized distributor, just in case.

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
Mik,
Gotta just say, if you find a scope, if it fits your needs and budget, no matter where it is made, buy it. Half of my tools are made in China. While I would like to buy all American tools, I buy what fits my needs.
Particularly when I am learning a tool, cheaper is better. (Price, not quality.) Not to get off-topic, but just because it is made in any country, is no reason to question it's quality. Or use.
Dan

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for your replies. If anyone knows, what is the maximum input voltage of a PC based oscilloscope?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
That seems like a loverly little feller. After lugging around Tektronix 545 scopes for a few decades, I'm glad to have ANY scope that doesn't require a forklift to move or use up my carbon credits warming up the filaments. :)

Actually I loved my first old '545. And my second. And my third. ^_^

Eric

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
Do not get an old analog Tek scope unless it has been recently calibrated. The Rigol is a nice looking scope it is actually the same as the Owon (Owon may be better and cheaper) and the Teks. They are practically the same scopes but with lesser quality parts and craftmanship hence the price. Don't you know that in China there is no copyright laws. The rest off the world spent in R&D and China copy it cheap and sell it cheap. They copy practically everything worth something from Japan.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Do not get an old analog Tek scope unless it has been recently calibrated. The Rigol is a nice looking scope it is actually the same as the Owon (Owon may be better and cheaper) and the Teks. They are practically the same scopes but with lesser quality parts and craftmanship hence the price. Don't you know that in China there is no copyright laws. The rest off the world spent in R&D and China copy it cheap and sell it cheap. They copy practically everything worth something from Japan.
Owon scopes have bigger displays but do not have FFT built-in. What do you thin about a PC based scope like the one I posted the link?

The PC based scope only has a 150 Meg sample rate for 60 MHz bandwidth. The Rigol has a 1 gig sample rate for 50 MHz bandwidth. Substantial oversampling is a very good thing in DSOs.

Also, the Rigol has 1 Mpts memory depth, also a good thing. The PC based scope has a much smaller buffer.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
They can work, they have all the problems of digital scopes, but offer some distinct advantages in that you should be able to capture screen shots.

Me, I'm using an old HP120. From there anything looks better (but mine works, also a plus).

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
Owon scopes have bigger displays but do not have FFT built-in. What do you thin about a PC based scope like the one I posted the link?
It is only 150Msamples It won't look good under complex signals. I have never seen or used one of those PC based but the Computer screen is not as good as the scopes when displaying contrast. But I once downloaded one spectrum analyzer PC based program that you could use with the imputs of the sound card. You can problably find it online if you don't send me your email by PM and I will send it to you so you can see how a waveform looks.
I really suggest you to go to a store where they sell scopes and try several models then desire which one you like.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I found today two stores which sell scopes and I will visit them on Monday. I hope I will find something good.