New Open Educational Resources for Electronics

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by JFiore, May 16, 2017.

1. JFiore

Thread Starter New Member

May 15, 2017
    Greetings!

I am pleased to announce the release of another free OER (Open Educational Resource) text and accompanying laboratory manual. It is called Semiconductor Devices: Theory & Application. It is appropriate for 2-year and 4-year Electrical/Electronic Engineering Technology programs and the like. The text begins with basic semiconductor theory and includes discussion of various types of diodes, BJTs, JFETs, MOSFETs and IGBTs, along with class A, class B and class D amplifiers. These titles use a Creative Commons non-commercial, share-alike license so you and your students can download them for free and use them as you wish. They are available in both .pdf and .odt (open document text) formats. The text is approximately 400 pages in length and the lab manual contains 28 exercises. Both are in 8.5x11 format for easy printing, if needed.

Semiconductor Devices is the latest addition to a library of free OER titles:

Embedded Controllers Using C and Arduino/2E (text and lab manual)
    Operational Amplifiers & Linear Integrated Circuits/3E (text and lab manual)
    Computer Programming with Python and Multisim/3E (lab manual)
    DC Electrical Circuits (lab manual)
    AC Electrical Circuits (lab manual)
    Science of Sound (lab manual)

These titles can be found at the major OER sites Merlot.org and OERCommons.org. You may also find them at my college site:
    http://www2.mvcc.edu/users/faculty/jfiore/freebooks.html

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about these titles.

Best Regards,

Jim Fiore, Professor
    Department of Physical Science, Engineering and Applied Technology
    Mohawk Valley Community College
    1101 Sherman Drive
    Utica, NY USA 13501
    jfiore*at*mvcc.edu

2. MrAl

Distinguished Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi,

Thanks for posting. Looks like some good information there.

3. Mellisa_K

Apr 2, 2017
    Thanks for the heads up Jim!

I have downloaded the pdf. Looks great!

4. JFiore

Thread Starter New Member

May 15, 2017
    Thanks. These books have been years in the making!

After my first text was published circa 1990 (the first edition of the op amps & LIC text), I became increasingly disgruntled with the commercial textbook publishing industry (along with the national book resellers). A few years after the second edition of that text came out, I didn't want anything more to do with commercial publishers. Everything since then has been OER, and fortunately, two years ago I was able to get my publisher to revert the copyright of the op amp text back to me, so I did a third edition and now that's OER, too.

Mellisa_K likes this.