new member, amateur question

saliva2002

Joined Dec 8, 2010
so lets say i have a box, pictured below. I have 6 pre-wired led arrays, ready to hook up straight into a 12v automotive application. i will have them spaced as shown in the picture and i'm trying to figure out the right way to wire them. They box is 16x16 and the led pods are about the size of a quarter. because they are spaced so far apart, i was trying to minimize the amount of wiring, as to keep the most space on the inside. I have included the two scenarios for wiring i think there is, but i'm sure there's more.

again, i am an amateur so please bear with me. thanks!

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
If your array is prewired for 12 volts you must use the second(parallel) configuration. Each array will get connected to a +12V and a -12V wire.

Each array you connect will add it's current demand to the others. If each array takes 350ma, then six of them will be .35+.35+.35+.35+.35+.35 amps

Do you follow what I'm telling you? A picture of your LED array would tell us more certainly.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Im sorry, no real help from me (What else is new), but you use White-Out?

I'm a scribbler. If I write something wrong, I scratch it out.

White-out...humph.... Gotta get me some.

saliva2002

Joined Dec 8, 2010
no on the worklight. the "box" is actually a motorcycle trunk, like a harley tour pak, and the led pods are side markers which will be ran straight to the battery.

as for the parralell, it shows each positive wired to the hot, then a space, then another positive. realisticly, can multiple positives (from the led) be touching eachother and the main hot at the same time, or does there have to be that space, or is that more for illustrative purpose? ( i know i drew it, but i drew it like i saw it somewhere else)

and Kermit, when you say each array will add to the others, what does the final number tell me? am i looking to not exceed a certain number?

and i used the whiteout so the picture wouldn't look so sloppy and harder to understand, and i'll try and get pictures this afternoon. actually, this may work
Maxxima 3/4" mini combination red led clearance marker light part # M09300R
It fits standard 3/4" mounting hole.
1000,000 hour rate life.
Operating voltage - 12.8VDC
Amperage draw - 50 milliamps
Meets dot/sae - J592e
Legal Heading - P2PC
Material - High impact acrylic
Number of led's - 3
Warranty - 5years

;)

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
White-Out is toxic. We got dinged once for not having an MSDS around for it. To add insult to injury, that was several years after we converted to PC's. What color hair did the secretary have?

As for this project, I hope the OP got my subtle suggestion to read this forum's guidelines for automotive projects.

John

Cross posted. If it's for a murdercycle, then break a leg. That's show biz for good luck.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
jpanhalt, No it doesn't appear so

@saliva2002:
Friend, if your tapping into the existing brake light wiring, this may prove problematic for us.

We will have to wait for moderator approval prior to helping you modify your motorcycle.

Adding lights via a battery line is not so much a problem, or if you are adding a separate brake-switch, not too much a problem.

How do you plan to get the brake signal?

saliva2002

Joined Dec 8, 2010
i've decided to just run the wires straight to the battery :cool:. These lights will aid in helping vehicles be more aware of my presence. I am not modding anything or changing my stock equipment, simply adding a trunk, and would like to add more running lights. These are not underglow, or anything of that sort, just red plain running lights.

kind of like this, except my trunk didn't come with lights attached, so i'm adding them

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You are doing fine connecting them to the battery. Be aware if the supply voltage varies(and it does), the 100,000 hour lifespan may be much shorter.

A voltage regulator is simple to add. That could be your next project.

The other safety issues are extremely important. DO NOT tap into the existing wiring harness. Add a line(wire) and a fuse holder to the battery and USE a fuse. I would suggest a 1 amp fuse.

About current adding: I didn't know what kind of LED's you were using, and some of the new super bright ones can draw large amounts of current. So I gave the warning about current adding in parallel.