New Lobster Mutation, This ones cool

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Check it out, this mutation is known as a split. As I've posted before the most common mutations are Blue being 1 out of 2 million, Callico 1 out of 20 or 30 million. These are 1 out of 50 million. Really makes you wonder how much mathmatics is involved in nature,

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
reminds me of ants. when red ants invade black ants and steal there eggs or vise versa.
They'er genetics cant decide what they should be so they turn out part blk and part red

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What are the chances that the coloring would be on a perfect straight line boundary? Are there any other instances of this in nature?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
What are the chances that the coloring would be on a perfect straight line boundary? Are there any other instances of this in nature?
Thats why I said its amazing how much mathmatics is in nature. Spider webs, a drop of water, and crystals for all kinds of crazy geometric shapes. Nature is full of geometry if you look for it.

As for other instances yes. Look at dogs, we've been inbreeding them so long you can do it with them. The only other domesticated animals we've activily been mutating and breeding are parrots and snakes. And they've done amazing things with both by isolating colors for the birds, and making new patterns and even scaleless snakes. I know a baby scaleless boa sells for $10,000. With birds it goes by what colors are hardest. Typically you'll have a normal green for $100, a Lutino will come next for $250, then a blue will come for $400, Then a proper yellow will come out for $5000, Then you still have violets, greys, lacewings, etc.. the lists goes on and on and they pay big dollars for the first mutations so breeders can breed them. So a bird comes out this year for $5000, in 2 years its selling for $500.

Last edited: