New here

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnray

Joined Jul 3, 2010
Well, I arrived here while searching for homemade bug zapper. It seems I found an old thread, however using a microwave oven transformer was the final answer, which I was going to suggest. I am retired, but my last position dealt with microwave generators from small to 100KW and at several different frequencies. If anyone has built one I could save time by perusing the design.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
We are more than a bit iffy on the subject of homebuilt projects involving high voltages. The flyback will put out way more voltage than is really necessary, and the microwave transformer is a lethal shock hazard.

capnray

Joined Jul 3, 2010
I agree. The flyback gives great HV, however having contacted that have been able to swamp the thing with little damage. Even the 100KW magnetrons operate at around an Ampere as do the smaller ones, sufficient current to fry a bug. In the endgame it is the current, not the voltage that does the real work...VA=power, kinda (power factor, AC or DC and losses). Voltage pushes electrons, current is the flow of them, the more the merrier. 15 KV at 1 mA is not a lot, 2KV at 1A is a whallop.

OOPS, neither is to be attempted by anyone unfamiliar with either (see warning suggestion below), however I am familiar with both and will go for the whallop.

We are more than a bit iffy on the subject of homebuilt projects involving high voltages. The flyback will put out way more voltage than is really necessary, and the microwave transformer is a lethal shock hazard.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
All the Universities use chemical money or another Insect to
attack the problem.Most night Insect devises have propane tank
attached.Big Oil and chemical companies.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Yeah capnray, good luck rectifying that to a DC grid for a bug zapper..

<snip>Commentary deleted by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

capnray

Joined Jul 3, 2010
My transformer is complete with filament, B+ and a healthy diode. When Tomas Edison was approached by "corrections" personnel asking if his DC would work as an execution device, he replied that George Westinghouse's AC was much better for that. AC should work also. The way they ran electric executions was quite brutal..."overkill". A modern defibrillator could do the job without unjust damage to human tissue. Sorry, got off topic.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
We are all familiar with lovable old Thomas A. doing in an elephant on stage to "prove" that Mr. Westinghous was a madman.

This seems to have gone to a conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.