New here so hello

Xijt

Joined Aug 28, 2013
Hello im new too the site, my names Casey and im always trying to learn how to make circuits. Im not too swell with them yet as this is the reason i signed up for this site to possibly get some kind of insight on what im looking to do. I do a lot of gaming and i own a Xbox 360, i modified my controller a bit as well. I have remapped 4 buttons on the bottom like a Scuf controller. Scuf just came out with a new controller called the Hybrid, it has basically the same things as mine does. BUT they have the ability too remap buttons on the fly. I however cant do that nor understand what kind of circuit has to be made to do so. So on that note does anyone have any idea how they achieve this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Wouldn't you have better luck on a gaming forum ?? I mean some gamers I've run into are very good at hacking the applicable electronics...

btw...:D Welcome to AAC !!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I know nothing about the details but I would assume it's done in software. The driver receives the signal that a particular button is depressed, and does what it's programmed to do.

Xijt

Joined Aug 28, 2013
Wouldn't you have better luck on a gaming forum ?? I mean some gamers I've run into are very good at hacking the applicable electronics...

btw...:D Welcome to AAC !!
I did search a few different things but i figured that going to a dedicated site about electronics would be the better option.

I know nothing about the details but I would assume it's done in software. The driver receives the signal that a particular button is depressed, and does what it's programmed to do.
I figured it would be done with possibly a programmable chip? If im not mistaken they call it a macro. Not too sure what that is or how it works. I just know that they remap the buttons (which im assuming this is how they do this) by pressing the original buttons on the controller and then the desired button on the bottom of the controller then press a programming button. Thus saving the pressed buttons to each other.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
I think you mean "micro" .. which is a microcontroller .
So if I understand correctly what you want to do is to make 4(or dunno how many there are) buttons mappable on the fly right?

Xijt

Joined Aug 28, 2013
I think you mean "micro" .. which is a microcontroller .
So if I understand correctly what you want to do is to make 4(or dunno how many there are) buttons mappable on the fly right?
It might be called micro but they called it a macro. Yes im looking to remap 4 buttons on the fly. A,B,X, and Y. Scuf has it setup to where so that if you want you can just press 1 button to program. The extra paddles which have small switches under them are what they are using for A,B,X,Y.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=667&q=scuf+gaming&oq=scuf+gaming&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1314.2377.0.2478.11.8.0.3.3.1.234.586.6j1j1.8.0....0...1ac.1.25.img..3.8.229.ZOKhuiDKsEc#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=eY9dRnhkAbxcEM%3A%3BEbTgFqfWyVOeJM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.scufgaming.com%252Fimages%252Fproduct%252Fhybrid%252Fthescuf%252Fback.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.scufgaming.com%252F%3B626%3B469

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
I'm confused , so when you press a button then you activate those paddles at the back ?
Or are they used for mapping .

Also , who is Scuf? some custom gaming controller remake brand?

Xijt

Joined Aug 28, 2013
I'm confused , so when you press a button then you activate those paddles at the back ?
Or are they used for mapping .

Also , who is Scuf? some custom gaming controller remake brand?
the paddles will always be in use. theres no on off switch for them. im looking to make a circuit to control what is being pressed on the extra buttons on the bottom of the controller.

scuf is a company that makes xbox 360 controllers but adds a new feel to the controller and adds 2 or 4 paddles to the bottom of the controller. the buttons are assigned too whatever the player orders. they recently made a controller that has remappable buttons through some type of circuitry.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Well it's probably not going to be easy if you have no experience with microcontrollers and I doubt someone will write up a solution with you as this isn't a standard thing so .. you are probably best off finding a ready made solution or something similar in a gaming forum to be honest .
I was probably of absolutely no help but ... yeah.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
So..you want us to design the Scuf circuits for you?

ps, I think the Macro word is similar to a subroutine from early Microsoft Word, like, ctrl+F3 could call a subroutine that means, "type my name on the page".