New desktop computer won't POST

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hello again, everyone!

This question actually goes to all you computer techies out there:

Some of you may remember that I was thinking about purchasing a desktop computer from a friend of mine. Well, it happened--last night I bought it and put it together today. Now the problem is this: When I turn on the computer, the fan turns on, as do all the lights, but the computer just doesn't POST. My monitor just stays blank. I've tried both the VGA and HDMI outputs, on both video cards, and neither one works. Any thoughts to why a computer wouldn't boot? I've tested the PSU and made sure all the outputs were good (I heard that's one of the main reasons it wouldn't work), so I was wondering what else might have happened? Also, when I start it up, I hear a beep and everything but there's no signal to the monitor. Not sure if it just won't boot, or if it might be a problem with the video output....?

Thanks for any suggestions, guys!
Best wishes,
Matt

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
When I put together a computer with used parts, I hardreset the BIOS. There should be a jumper to do that.

Is the RAM inserted properly?

Graphic card inserted properly?

Is it only one beep? Usually there is a meaning with the beep. To help trouble shoot.

Have you tested the monitor on your laptop?

How aboutthe user manual for the motherboard?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hey nerdgutta.

The RAM was the first thing that came to mind. I'll be doing some testing tomorrow to see if it's any good. Make sure it's seated properly, etc.

Only one beep at startup, which is the error code for a problem with the memory refresh circuitry, which would probably mean a problem with the RAM.

The monitor is my TV, which has VGA and HDMI inputs. I've used it before, so I'm sure it works.

The manual is probably buried in the box of goodies that came with the computer. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!
Regards,
Matt

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
The monitor is my TV, which has VGA and HDMI inputs. I've used it before, so I'm sure it works.
Remember their are Graphic Modes for your VGA driver ,if they are not supported nothing will be displayed on your monitor.

To check POST we use POST card (Power On Self Test card)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test

If you can, use it or try some other monitor...

Check out the motherboard's manufacturers website,to get details about the video drivers

Good Luck

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
If it has been without power for too long it probably dropped the bios. It's a common problem with buying secondhand PCs that have not been plugged in for weeks.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for the responses guys!

Something important that I forgot to mention was that the person who sold it to me hooked up another power supply before he sold it to me and it worked. I'm getting the feeling that even though the output voltages from the PSU are right, that they are not very clean. I'm going to have to hook up a scope to it to check it out. If the problem is, in fact, the power supply, I'd like to try to repair it myself. What might cause the output to be unclean?

Sorry for forgetting to mention that.
Best wishes,
Matt

P.S. According to This Site, 1 beep on startup means there's a problem with the memory circuitry....? I'll check the manual and see if I can give you any other specs.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Oops, guess I forgot to update you guys.

The other day something occurred to me. Now, the graphics cards that came with this thing have three video outputs--VGA, HDMI, and DVI. I didn't have a monitor with a DVI input, so I tried my VGA monitor and my HDMI TV. Neither worked. After going through all that trouble, it struck me. I contacted the original owner and asked him what output he used. Sure enough, it was DVI. Apparently he had it defaulted to DVI, so VGA and HDMI wouldn't work. I borrowed a monitor with a DVI input, and BINGO! Everything worked like a charm.

So I knew it was something stupid and simple, yet so obscure.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Best wishes,
Matt