New Deck Rails

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I built my deck 4 years ago, but never really finished the rails. They were too low, and the slats blocked my view of the forest behind my house. So, now after 4 days of hard work, the rails are finally finished. I raised them up to 48", which is code for a deck such as mine, 15-20 feet off the ground, depending on which end you're standing on. And, I used wire mesh so I can view the forest unimpeded. Not sure what the code says about that, but I like it :)

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Looks nice. If you have young children up there, you will need to make sure you have reinforcement on the wire (e.g. 2x2s nailed over the perimeter of the wire at each opening).

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is a legal method using horizontal cables (This Old House TV show). They look like 3/16 stainless steel with tensioners that come in the kit. When that, "two by four" fencing rusts ugly, you might look into the horizontal cable system. Still, I wouldn't do the legal minimum if children are ever a risk factor.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The twoxfour fencing is galvanized, so it won't be rusting anytime soon. Had it around the garden 4 years new without a spec of rust. I've considered the horizontal cables in conjunction with the fence, however. Just to provide an extra level of safety. No children here, but wifey is kind of goofy, so I am interested in making it as safe as possible.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
There is a legal method using horizontal cables (This Old House TV show). They look like 3/16 stainless steel with tensioners that come in the kit. When that, "two by four" fencing rusts ugly, you might look into the horizontal cable system. Still, I wouldn't do the legal minimum if children are ever a risk factor.
Hola No. 12,

That cable is supposed to run how much above the ground? Its is expected to be a contention or what?

It is actually one or several at different heights?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That cable is supposed to run how much above the ground? It is actually one or several at different heights?
I referred to a TV show because that is where I saw this method. I think it was in Boston, Massachusetts. Very strict construction laws there. Several strands required. I think the legal minimum is not sufficient to protect children, but the method is legal and can be enhanced enough to be safe. Maybe 3 wires required by law for a 42 inch top rail. Maybe 5 wires with 7 inch spacing or 6 wires with 6 inch spacing would be safe enough for children.

Gracias

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I referred to a TV show because that is where I saw this method. I think it was in Boston, Massachusetts. Very strict construction laws there. Several strands required. I think the legal minimum is not sufficient to protect children, but the method is legal and can be enhanced enough to be safe. Maybe 3 wires required by law for a 42 inch top rail. Maybe 5 wires with 7 inch spacing or 6 wires with 6 inch spacing would be safe enough for children.

Gracias
This site claims every 3" vertical separation.
http://www.atlantisrail.com/raileasy-cable-railing

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I like it too. Kick rail at the bottom will stop people leaning their foot against the bottom wire and stretching it, center beam for the top rail covers some of the space that needs covering, and the two horizontals will stop the wire tension from distorting the structure...and it looks good.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My horizontal shadowbox fence doesn't need tensioners, but the last time I worked on somebody else's fence, I used turnbuckles.

Attachments

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
My horizontal shadowbox fence doesn't need tensioners, but the last time I worked on somebody else's fence, I used turnbuckles.
Oh I should have said eye-eye bottlescrew turnbuckles. (Used mostly for lashing on board now replaced by steel strapping).

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I would've thought that mcgyvr would approve of making use of whatever was at hand. :D
All good :)... There is a time for "making use" and a time for "making pretty/doing it right"..
If I'm going to be staring out into a beautiful wooded area I sure don't want to feel like I'm doing it from inside a chicken coop.